Feeding help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
I have a BD, I purchased him in October of last year as a baby, so as of October this year he’s probably abt 13 months old, age reference for food.
I use Dubiaroaches.com (something along those lines) or rainbowmealworms, but I’ve been using Dubia roaches.com more lately..

Does this sound right:
Feed him Roughly 10 insects per day, meaning that he’d eat 300 insects in a month, so if I got a subscription on one of those 2 websites for like 200 adult super worms and 100 large roaches, and fed him a mixture of 10 of those per day, is that a solid plan?
Summary, is roughly10 insects per night for the rest of his life adequate?
Dubiaroaches.com okay site? 300/month subscription?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a pretty good plan, yes. At his age, he can get by with about 50 feeders weekly,
but with dubias, I honestly wouldn't feed too much more than that. They are high in uric
acid & protein so it has been shown that they can contribute to gout if fed in excess. So,
you could opt for a few less or a smaller subscription?

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your dragon should be eating salads and some worms like super worms horn worms meal worms you can try some BSFL they are small but good salad toppers -- they are high in calcium as well --silk worms are another good staple feeder along w/ the BSFL
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
If you need websites for any of these please ask -- dubiaroaches.com is a good place for some of these
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Super worms are for treats so maybe 150 I would feed them every couple of days like 3 you don't want him hooked on them-- 50 - 100 roaches they last a long time-
Karrie

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So what should I be using as a staple daily insect to feed? Or should I alternate day to day, (for example mon. 5 hornworms, tues. 10 Dubia, thurs. 10 superworms, etc)?
I’ve been using strictly superworms or strictly roaches for MONTHS.
He’s got some issues right now I’m trying to sort out where he is taking WAY too long in between bathroom uses. He’s up to 2.5 to 3 weeks in between and I’m thinking about calling the vet tomorrow?

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Everything else;
For everyday salad he gets;
Mustard greens, collard greens, bell peppers (all colors) and butternut squash, and I alternate in parsley every couple of days. Please feel free to suggest a good daily one to throw in!

Supplements:
I give him ‘Zoo Med Repti Calcium with D3’daily,
and ‘Rep- Cal Herptivite with Beta Carotene Multivitamins’ every few days.

I offer salad in the AM so he has a chance to eat it and doesn’t ignore it, and feed bugs at night.

I feed between 10 to 15 bugs, they say to offer until he stops eating but he always seems SO hungry... but I don’t want to over feed him....

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
His pooping is fine as they get older they tend to slow down on the pooping so unless he quits pooping all together then its time to be concerned so let him poop at his own pace -- you can give him a warm bath to maybe stimulate things and massage his abdomen - it is not uncommon for them to not poop for weeks--
I would use the dubias as a staple feed -- being hes around 13 months he should be on salads every day and feed your dubias 3 times per week - and the super worms every other day along w/ the horn worms - are you feeding a bug thats the right size for him? If your feeding smaller bugs hes going to eat more of them-- he should be eating a large roach for 13 months can you post a pic of him and a roach please
Karrie

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey Karrie, I’m out of Dubia at this moment so i can’t show them... they were indeed too small and my next order will be larger.
The space between his eyes is pretty much exactly one inch.
My next roach order from dubiaroaches.com will be their Large roaches.

The superworms I feed are a little under 1.5”, that plus over feeding could cause impaction?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
When was the last time he pooped? Too many supers could cause impaction- dragons can take longer periods to poop --- does he look bloated? Is he straining to poop? Have you tried giving him a bath and a abdomen massage to get him to poop? You can feed him some unsweetened applesauce or canned pumpkin w/ a little olive oil to make him go poop
Karrie

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He pooped today, and the last time before that was October 3rd, (I marked it on my calendar since he was having issues).
I don’t think he strains to poop, ever since he was little he just kinda gets energetic and runs around a bit and then goes, and just with a super quick glance to clean up it’s not overly liquids nor does it have undigested bug remains.
I have given him a mix of applesauce, baby food prunes, and olive oil to clear his system, usually 2 days in a row and on the second day he goes. I haven’t done that recently.
I’ve tried giving him a few warm baths(what temp should the water be? I have the right thermometer for that) as well as massaging his abdomen and it doesn’t hardly do anything. The only success I have is with those “natural laxatives” such as prunes and applesauce and olive oil.

Could it be lack of hydration? He does get a variety of veggies every morning, which do have water content, and he has a tiny little 1oz dish of water, both placed on the cold side away from direct heat.

Other than that, I do not spritz him or soak him at all. (Other than a handful of times in his life).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hes not impacted if hes going -- you can always rinse the greens before serving he will get moisture thru them and gut loaded insects--- you can feed the insects carrots but NOT the dragon you dont want to over do it on Vit A -- those peppers your feeding are also going to give moisture as well -- kale is a good staple feeder --
Karrie

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So should I feed roaches carrots and lettuce? What other bugs, I’ve been using those orange cubes that are water and food

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No lettuce! Feed carrots for hydration- I would get some dubia food from dubiaroaches.com- you can try feeding the greens your giving to the dragon I tried my roaches wouldn't touch them-- you want good food going to the roaches as that's what's going to your dragon----- you can feed squash they will eat that---- some fruit like strawberries raspberries-- oranges they like oranges
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom