Leg amputation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel97

I was hoping to get some opinions, support, or information about amputations. We have to either amputate his leg halfway up the thigh or euthanize. He’s around 8 years old and doesn’t show any signs of being distressed even with the abscess he has growing on his knee. We’re obviously wanting to amputate but we’re very nervous about the process. Will this be the right decision for him? Do you think it’ll be too hard on him? What’s the healing process like? We want what’s best for him, even if that unfortunately means having to loose our little buddy. We all feel very lost but have to make a decision fairly quick. Any and all comments are appreciated.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry to hear about your guy . My boys are over 8 yrs. old and still spry + healthy so if your dragon is healthy it should be no problem. They do fine with 3 legs and recover pretty quickly from surgery [ usually ] Keep in mind that every operation on a human or animal carries the risk of death but it's very low if you have a good vet/ Dr. and are reasonably good health. Do you have pics of him , and what is his name ? Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Nigel97

Original Poster
His name is Nigel, I believe you actually commented on my other post about his leg infection recommending amputation. I really appreciate your knowledge and support through this website! I’ll attach pictures of what his leg looks like now (with some corn starch on it) and what it looked like a couple months ago as well as a picture of him himself. He was able to shed the abscess the first time around but it came back pretty aggressively, hence us considering amputation. He doesn’t have any other health concerns that I’m aware about. He has the same mannerisms as usual and seems very healthy aside from his leg.

full

full

full

full

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh yes I remember Nigel ! He looks pretty good and it seems like he is relatively healthy. Be sure to let the vet know everything that you mentioned here . What a sweet boy you have !

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
This is because you had the worst pet sitter on the planet, right? He’ll be fine with it amputated, but I’d personally lop off someone’s finger if they ever let Mari get like that just as an extra treat.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh bless Nigel, he is doing super right now, he looks really happy! I am glad to see his vast
improvement there but sorry he will lose his leg. I agree, he looks healthy so amputating his
leg at his age should be fine. It will be an adjustment for him, but if he is in good health otherwise
then he can definitely handle it.
It will just be an excuse for you to spoil him more... When are you planning on having this done?

Tracie

Nigel97

Original Poster
loljelloclowdz":2fxsj7yc said:
This is because you had the worst pet sitter on the planet, right? He’ll be fine with it amputated, but I’d personally lop off someone’s finger if they ever let Mari get like that just as an extra treat.
Yes that’s right. Ooooh trust me, I’m having a hard time not doing anything of the sort

Nigel97

Original Poster
Drache613":329z0pym said:
Hello,

Oh bless Nigel, he is doing super right now, he looks really happy! I am glad to see his vast
improvement there but sorry he will lose his leg. I agree, he looks healthy so amputating his
leg at his age should be fine. It will be an adjustment for him, but if he is in good health otherwise
then he can definitely handle it.
It will just be an excuse for you to spoil him more... When are you planning on having this done?

Tracie

Thankyou for the reply! That makes me so happy to hear. Of course we see him everyday so it’s hard to see just HOW much better he’s looking... the appointment is scheduled for the 27th, so just over a week from now

Nigel97

Original Poster
Just a small update for everyone; Nigel’s surgery was on Tuesday. He’s been eating well since and obviously shows signs of discomfort, but so far so good! Going to keep the good energy flowing his way. I’ll continue to post more update over the next few weeks

full

full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom