Dragons holding eyes closed since brumating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I live in Australia and my beardies have just recently awakened from brumation and two of them are now pretty commonly holding their eyes closed. My male is preferring to have both closed but more the left and one of my females is usually just closing the left eye. They are otherwise very healthy and active and they never really used to do this with their eyes before brumating this year.

I would very much appreciate any advice or help with this. Thanks a lot!

acanthophismetalis

Original Poster
105507-614592131.jpg
Thanks for the reply! They have new lights but they are the exact same as their old ones and I cannot notice any substrate in their eyes.
105507-1497543985.jpg

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Maybe they are just trying to make you disappear because if they can’t see you, then you don’t exist. (Mari closes her eyes at her veggies and I’m like “uh...”)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How long have you had the dragons, is this their first year brumating and how long have they been wake again since brumation ?

acanthophismetalis

Original Poster
The male is 2 years old and this is his first time brumating. The female is 4 years old and I am unaware of if she has brumated in the past as this was my first winter with her. As far as I am aware, her last owner did not allow them to brumate so this may very well have been the first time for both of them. As for my other female (also 4), this was her first time too even though I have had her since she was a hatchling but she is having no troubles with her eyes.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Something is irritating their eyes , I would think it's the MVB. Are they still not opening them ?

acanthophismetalis

Original Poster
The male does open his when he needs to in order to do something but otherwise shuts them. The female holds hers close all the time and barely wants to open the right eye at all.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would upgrade the tall tank to a long tank dragons need floor space not height --- and I would replace the MVB to a regular bright white basking bulb and the UVB to a long tube fixture --- and get rid of the loose substrate to a solid one --- but thats me ---
Karrie

acanthophismetalis

Original Poster
Thank you for the response. I am aware that beardies generally like longer enclosures more but this guy reall loves to climb and be up high. My girls are definitely happy in the longer tanks but this guy is always trying to get as high as he can go and doesn't tend to move all that much along the x axis - but I will definitely keep that in mind and perhaps look into changing it in the future!

I have not heard the term MVB bulb before - would you mind explaining that please and why you'd recommend changing it?

Regarding substrate - do you think that this could be the cause of their problems and is that why you advocate for doing away with it?

Thanks heaps for your help.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Mercury Vapor Bulb MVB-- what is bulb are you using in the other 4 yrs old tank? I would switch out those bulbs to a bright white basking bulb one that keeps the tanks 95-110- and get a long tube fixture for UVB's the one tank thats long a 24" fixture w / a reflector --- w/ a Arcadia 12% bulb - I cant see the top of the screen on that one and it appears to be a fine mesh meaning its going to need to go inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches - the tall tank could present a issue - I dont know the dimensions of the tank so I would look at getting that tank changed out ASAP - you need to get the lighting fixed as soon as you can as well - basking temps and UVB are the most important thing in the tanks--- the substrate I would look at getting something solid -- like NON adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store -- something w/ a little texture to it so they dont slip- -
Karrie

acanthophismetalis

Original Poster
I am not sure that these two are MVBs truly. They are heat and UVB in one - 125 watts each. The other tank I have for my other female has the exact setup you are speaking of - with a basking bulb, a tube UVB and tiles rather than substrate. The reason these two have alternative setups to that is because I received the two dragons and the enclosures from my friend who used to keep lots of beardies and these were the setups they had.

Might I ask, do you see that there is something categorically wrong with a tall enclosure of this nature? I only ask as he is very healthy, active and seems to truly enjoy the space for climbing he has - not often wanting to be on the ground at all.

Thanks very much again.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so given the info you have given I would say its those bulbs - your other dragon is not having issues w/ her eyes so I would switch everything out to what you have for the other female- the tall tank is not really recommended for a dragon its more for chameleons-- dragons do like floor space -- so it is up to you but I think I would get him switched out completely -- the lights and the tank :)
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom