Vomit (?) and weight loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh yea, she is getting pretty old. Still, she may have some life left in her if you can get her small amounts of nutrition to keep her going.

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah she’s a pretty old girl now. I’m always thrilled she’s made it this long honestly, she just had such bad care in the beginning. She’s just making it difficult since her bloodwork was good and she’s still active and happy, so I’m not sure if she’s just getting too old or if there’s actually something wrong that’s fixable. The vet isn’t sure either. I’m hoping she can put some weight back on since that seems to be her main issue and get a bit more time with the old girl.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Sapphire doing? She does look like she needs to put on some weight. Did you
get any food into her today?
Is she basking a decent amount also? I hope she can gain some weight but try to go
slowly with her, so it doesn't stress her kidneys or liver. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She’s pretty active today, but weight is lower than yesterday. Today she’s at 240g. No vomit since I stopped the squash luckily. She basks quite a bit, I normally grab her from her basking spot for food and put her her back once she’s eaten and usually when I check in on her she’s basking. Yesterday she ate 6ml and today she’s eaten 3ml so far, she’ll get another 3 or 4 later.

As I type she’s walking around trying to go under the couch or tables or things, and was hard to get a weight on because she wouldn’t stop moving, so at least she seems to be feeling well even if her body isn’t! I also found out the second bacteria she had wasn’t pathogenic, so it was just the salmonella that was a problem.

saraho

Hatchling Member
I am by no means an expert, but sometimes we are so critical of what we've done in the past or left undone, and we blame ourselves when they get ill. She's 11, which means you have done pretty well so far. She has probably forgotten those first few years, so maybe you can forgive yourself for them too.

I only say this because when I lost my first cat to cancer, I was sure it was something I'd done. I don't know, maybe, but he had a good life, and I know I did the best for him that I could have, given the circumstances in my life. He never held a grudge, so I'd bet Sapphire isn't either.

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
87149-6143879737.jpg
87149-4185276632.jpg
87149-9381883335.jpg

Hey everyone. Kinda hard to see because of its pale color but I think she might have vomited again? It’s on the side of the tank and her basking log, and all over the floor. I can swear her tail looks even thinner now? Between her back legs/her hips look more pronounced. I can’t get a good picture of it. The probiotics are here but I don’t know if I should feed her or not? Would they help or make it worse? If she’s puking anyway should I just give her the probiotics in case it helps? I was going to give her the second feeding with probiotics but the puking is so concerning. Not sure anyone would have any advice or info (other than take her to the vet which I think I’m going to try and get an appointment ASAP) but I wanted to update you all anyway in case anyone had ideas.

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
saraho":3qjsbojd said:
I am by no means an expert, but sometimes we are so critical of what we've done in the past or left undone, and we blame ourselves when they get ill. She's 11, which means you have done pretty well so far. She has probably forgotten those first few years, so maybe you can forgive yourself for them too.

I only say this because when I lost my first cat to cancer, I was sure it was something I'd done. I don't know, maybe, but he had a good life, and I know I did the best for him that I could have, given the circumstances in my life. He never held a grudge, so I'd bet Sapphire isn't either.

I had missed your message when I just posted, but thank you. I’m wondering if her body is just failing her. She’s lived a long life and most of it has been good, but it’s hard not to focus on her past. I just wish I knew how to help her. I’ll keep you all updated but thank you for the kind words ❤️ Trying to stop crying now lmao. I think her age is catching up to us

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't know, it might be a lot of liquid poo . Is there any way you could set up a cam to record her all day ? And I would still give her the probiotics. Did she eat anything yesterday or today ? I don't see any food, just liquid.

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She ate 6.5 ml of critical care yesterday and 3 today. Since it’s a critical care formula it’s not solid food, just liquid which is why I think it’s more vomit. There’s also a small poop in the tank that’s a normal color and has a urate that isn’t dry yet, so I think it’s from the past few hours. I’m giving her the probiotics and her last feeding now (which is far later than normal admittedly, she gave me a lot of feelings to deal with). I’m hoping the probiotics help her to hold down her food

I could maybe see if my old phone still works and see if I could maybe use that to record, even if it’s only smaller videos. I’m usually home all day (online classes) she’s just in a different room, so I don’t see when she does things but could check and recharge the phone if it works still.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Try adding just a bit of raw honey along with the probiotics. It's good for the entire G.I tract and if she is vomiting it would be good for her throat as well.

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I’ll see if I can get some! She also went down to 230g after I weighed her after the second feeding and probiotics :(

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That it is :( I’m hoping the probiotics will help her keep her food down. Maybe I’ll get lucky and she just can’t digest anything properly since her gut flora is all out of whack and the probiotics will help.

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So after this I’m calling the vet and hoping that her vet is in soon. Her eyes are even more sunken today, to a pretty scary amount. She’s got even less of an appetite than normal and she’s actually black bearding now. I’m not sure I’ve ever actually seen her blackbeard, I didn’t know she knew how. She also vomited again this morning but this time it was pure clear liquid so? I guess better than the alternative? I saw what her critical care looks like thrown up yesterday and this isn’t that, so I guess that means she actually got to digest her last meal of the day which is good. Her weight before food was 228g and after is 230g. Not really an increase but not a drastic change from yesterday which at this point is all I can ask for.

Despite these very bad symptoms she was bright yellow today while standing in a sticky liquid puddle and running around while I tried to weigh her. Whatever is happening, old age or something else, she seems to be fighting it pretty hard because she just keeps being active and happy (or trying to be anyway).

87149-2374605211.jpg
87149-9906818829.jpg

EDIT: not even two hours later she puked up breakfast :/

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She looks in extreme distress. I'm so so sorry , I think this is the end. There is something going on that is not known right now and he body probably can't handle anything else. I wish I was wrong and could see a turn around but I can't see any other scenario at her age. So sorry you have to see this, poor Sapphire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom