New beardie owner..Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so my friend has gone to the Air Force and I’m watching her bearded dragon. I’m freaking out because my bearie is now shedding and his neck is turning a dark black. Is this normal when they’re shedding?! I’ve looked all over the internet and I can’t find a direct answer...PLEASE HELP!
I also believe he is a few years old. I’m freaking out because I’ve already been having issues getting the humidity right and now he started shedding and I walked out there to check on him and his neck was black. I did follow up and check on him again and it went back to normal and then as I was out there it turned black again. I did read about shedding and that agitation happens which is one thing he has, but I just need so much help right now and I find myself going through these forums a lot..

GamingGoddesss

Original Poster
I think I posted it. It said it uploaded. I just cleaned his cage as well so sorry for the mess, it will be getting cleaned again today lol. I just didn’t want to touch anything until I get a second opinion and I didn’t want to agitate him last night.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First thing you need to do is get rid of the red light bulb---- colored bulbs can cause long term eye damage and disrupt the sleep- dragons eyes are very sensitive to light --- the white bulb in the tank is a what ?? Is it a All in One basking and UVB ? Brand and bulb wattage ? I see only stick ons for temp gauges --- you need a digital probe thermometer to get actual basking temps-- the tank looks too small for the dragon --- full size dragons need a 75-120 gallon tank - if there is no UVB in that tank the dragon is getting sicker by the day -- basking temps need to be 95-110 for a adult / juvie dragon --
Karrie

GamingGoddesss

Original Poster
See she has had her beardie in this tank since she got him and she’s never had him get sick, she always let him run around her hang out with her and he’s never gotten sick a day in his life. Now I’m being told I need to upgrade everything ? I do plan on getting a bigger tank for him even though I’m just watching him until she has a base where she can bring him, but I plan on upgrading the tank and apparently changing the bulbs, can you recommend what I should have heat lamp wise and the other light as well? I just need help and am thankful you guys and girls are here. I can’t afford thousands of dollars but I’m trying to do my best and be a good friend and keep her big guy alive and strong and healthy

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The two most important things in that tank are the basking temps and the UVB- I can post websites for the uvb - a digital probe thermometer can be purchased at Petco or PetSmart for $9-- please get one ASAP you will need that to get a actual basking temps-- what is the white lamp in the tank now look on the bulb it should say
Karrie

GamingGoddesss

Original Poster
She wrote it all down but she just showed that the UVB bulb is on during the day and the one she has on here for me to buy if this one blows is a 75w bulb and the infrared bulb and 100W bulb that she has on here. I don’t mean to be asking for all of this but if you could throw out links or anything for new bulbs and show me what the temp probe thing is and the humidity one that I should get for the tank to measure both, I would appreciate it more than you know

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I will post all the links for you when I get home--- in the meantime shut the red bulb off- the UVB you can look where you live but the fixture length is usually not carried by petstores-- I have a go to place that is good and fast - I will get them for you later today
Karrie

GamingGoddesss

Original Poster
Honestly thank you so much! You have no idea how thankful I am. It may take me a week or so to buy all the new stuff but I just want to get this setup right so this guy can just be happy and healthy.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Here is some websites for you
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 24" -- it comes w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it as a back up its considered to be a T 8 distance and placement in the tank would be the difference
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html 22" bulb
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-digital-thermometer.html
A bright white basking bulb that keeps basking temps 95-110 --
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-basking-spot-bulbs.html
I dont know the size if the tank --- it is trial and error w/ heat bulbs - you dont want to burn him up so make sure you have the digital probe before installing the bulb--- you can get these bulbs and digital probe therm from Petco or Petsmart
If the tank is getting below 65 at nite you would need a CHE ceramic heat emitter they look like this
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-repticare-ceramic-infrared-heat-emitter.html I cant recommend bulb cuz I dont know the size of the tank -- if your upgrading tank you would need a 100 watt for a 40+ gallon tank --
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-mini-deep-dome.html
Karrie

GamingGoddesss

Original Poster
I’m thinking about buying a 40 gallon tank for him. I thank you so so much you don’t understand how nervous this guy has been making me and I don’t want any harm to come to him for me having little knowledge about bearded dragons. Truly this is appreciated. Thank you so much and anything else you can think of just post it. I’m constantly checking this forum

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would look for a tank on Craigslist or FB marketplace -- 40 gallon are fine for babies till they got full size then you want one that is 75-120 gallon w/ front doors -- if you find one make sure you sanitize it real good w/a F10 or Rescue or Zoo Meds Wipe Out
Karrie

GamingGoddesss

Original Poster
I need help! I just upgraded his tank BUT I can’t figure out this humidity! It stays at a constant 50-70 and I have 2 dehumidifiers in his case and it’s still not taking the humidity below 50. What can I do to tackle this humidity because all I do is freak out everyday. Even his basking light seems to go anywhere from 90 degrees to 110 but I’m buying the new basking light this week. But please with the humidity I need help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
As long as the humidity is not going above 70% you should be ok --- take a sock fill it w/ rice and see if that helps- NO water bowls in the tank and 50% is fine ---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom