New dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I just picked up a bearded dragon off craigslist. She was living in a 18x18x24inch tank (Ones for crested geckos) with the heat lamp INSIDE the tank. The original owner said they got her from Petco in April. I put her in an exo terra 40gallon with tile for now. Any suggestions on what i should add? I just have a hammock, water dish, food dish, and a half log in the tank so far. Shes also pretty skitish. Any tips?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The two most important things in the tank are correct basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons - they need to be 95-110 for a adult dragon / juvie dragon--- a UVB 24" fixture w/ reflector and 10.0 Reptisun bulb T 5 --- those are crucial --- you mentioned NO UVB -- NO coils they are no good - shes going to go thru relocation stress so her eating will be slow --- but she should be eating something --- if shes not eating at all there is a lighting issue or shes sick - the tile is good --- she needs to acclimate to her tank and surroundings - make sure shes hydrated and you can do that by rinsing her salads before serving -- here is a website for nutrition
ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
If you need websites for the UVB or insects/ worms please ask and I will post
Karrie

Bentlydragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":131jp11v said:
The two most important things in the tank are correct basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons - they need to be 95-110 for a adult dragon / juvie dragon--- a UVB 24" fixture w/ reflector and 10.0 Reptisun bulb T 5 --- those are crucial --- you mentioned NO UVB -- NO coils they are no good - shes going to go thru relocation stress so her eating will be slow --- but she should be eating something --- if shes not eating at all there is a lighting issue or shes sick - the tile is good --- she needs to acclimate to her tank and surroundings - make sure shes hydrated and you can do that by rinsing her salads before serving -- here is a website for nutrition
ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
If you need websites for the UVB or insects/ worms please ask and I will post
Karrie
Thank you! I did buy her a T5 tube light. She also has a ceramic heat emiter for night (house gets cold) and a basking bulb. Shes at 105F according to the probe i have. Her old owner had her on a pellet diet with freeze dried worms. Is it easy to get her to go on just salad instead of the pellets? She took one dubia roach from me so far, and she dove into her water dish and drank for a few minutes (dont think the owner gave her much water ever).

Im not sure how to add photos, but under her tail, her feet and a spot on her side are red. Is that normal? Or could she have been burned on the heat lamp that was kept inside her tank?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Possible about the heat light and the burn I want you to post pics so I can have some others on here look -- https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post --
The T5 where in the tank is it? Top of screen or inside the tank ?
Karrie

Bentlydragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2mwm264g said:
Possible about the heat light and the burn I want you to post pics so I can have some others on here look -- https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post --
The T5 where in the tank is it? Top of screen or inside the tank ?
Karrie
Her old tank:
109436-4946792200.jpg

Possible burns?
109436-9606989421.jpg
109436-1580026797.jpg
109436-6842361740.jpg

I have the T5 ontop of the tank. Does it need to be inside? If so whats the correct way to do so?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Depends on the screen on the tank--- is it a fine mesh or a wide holed type screen? If its fine mesh like a screen door it needs to go inside the tank -- approx 12-15 inches directly above basking decor- if its a wide holed type screen it can sit on top approx 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor - I am going to enlist some help on the feet and chest --
Karrie

Bentlydragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1xc980kc said:
Depends on the screen on the tank--- is it a fine mesh or a wide holed type screen? If its fine mesh like a screen door it needs to go inside the tank -- approx 12-15 inches directly above basking decor- if its a wide holed type screen it can sit on top approx 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor - I am going to enlist some help on the feet and chest --
Karrie
Its a fine mesh. Do you think zipties would work to put it inside the tank? Thank you so much. If they are burns do i need any thing special for her? Sorry for all the questions. I wanna make sure i have her setup correctly :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes you can use zip ties or you can also use these make sure you have the distance I posted
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties-- fishing line- potted plant wire hangers or tak- ty hook and loop cable ties --- look at walmart for these --- I am gonna have AHBD look at your post -- and yes there is stuff you can put on it but I want her to look first then she can recommend what you can use
Karrie

Bentlydragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2hu7igvy said:
Yes you can use zip ties or you can also use these make sure you have the distance I posted
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties-- fishing line- potted plant wire hangers or tak- ty hook and loop cable ties --- look at walmart for these --- I am gonna have AHBD look at your post -- and yes there is stuff you can put on it but I want her to look first then she can recommend what you can use
Karrie
Thank you so much for your help! Ill look into putting the T5 inside her tank

Bentlydragon

Original Poster
Bentlydragon":502purmc said:
KarrieRee":502purmc said:
Karrie
This is a better view of her chest

109436-1299447962.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, Karrie's given you great advice so far. :) I think the red may just be color stain from the red pellets or something else.

Bentlydragon

Original Poster
AHBD":7ca0jbn1 said:
Hi there, Karrie's given you great advice so far. :) I think the red may just be color stain from the red pellets or something else.
Would it be ontop of her tail like that if it was color stain? Will it come off with sheds?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It could be or it might be something else but it definitely looks like a stain of some sort. Red calcium sand can cause stains as well. So yes it should come off with a shed or two.

Bentlydragon

Original Poster
AHBD":1hb14xyd said:
It could be or it might be something else but it definitely looks like a stain of some sort. Red calcium sand can cause stains as well. So yes it should come off with a shed or two.
Ok thank you! I was worried it was burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom