Blood Near Stool!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viperbsd

Hi there,

I've had my baby girl, Ahsoka, since September 8th of last year. She's had Coccidia before, but she was treated for that and cleared. I fed her 20 crickets the other day, and since then she hasn't made a solid stool. I have pictures of the stool, that I will attach to this thread, I just need to know how.

Today, she made a liquid stool with a few drops of blood to the side, and that has me very concerned that she has internal bleeding. She jumps off my bed sometimes, so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it.

She is in a 40 gallon tank, and she has a tube UVB light that goes from one end of the vivarium to the other. This was approved by my vet. I am in college and I live on the second floor, so a 50 gallon tank is out of the option; I cant risk hurting myself. I had moved back down to South Florida for the Summer, and when I moved back up to Orlando, I realized I left the digital thermometer down south. I figured that since the heating was good down there, around 107-111 F, I wouldn't need thermometer. Apparently, I did. I just checked the Temperature with an infrared thermo, and it was in the 80s! NOT GOOD!

I feed her Greens every sometimes, when I get the chance to go to the grocery store. She is a bit overweight, so I think I need to up her greens.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Give it some time to see how her next couple of poos look, if the blood is consistent then a vet check would be a good idea. BTW, adult dragons do best with about 100F as the top basking spot. At 111 that would be too hot.

Viperbsd

Original Poster
107552-9753024992.jpg

Also, here is a picture of her side. It almost looks like she has ball in her stomach. I dont know if they are floating ribs or if they are eggs. I can feel them, web I rub her sides.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She's not overweight at all, actually pretty slim. :) There's no way to tell exactly what you're feeling although eggs can at times feel like there's something rounded under the skin. You don't know what you're feeling for sure though. That being said I can see a small lump near the back of her abdomen, it may or may not be an egg.

Viperbsd

Original Poster
Update!

Today, she made a solid poop, however, there was still blood. The blood seems to be coming out with the urates, because there is no blood in the stool. Yesterday she urinated (urated?) separate from her stool, and the urate had blood on it. I’m concerned that she is having a urinary issue. Could egg binding cause this? She’s never displayed major signs of wanting to lay, but I’m putting together a lay box just in case.

Here is a picture of the stool she made today.
107552-1888254602.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Symptoms of egg binding are extreme lethargy, black beard and looking really sick over all. Your dragon may be looking to lay but nothing indicates egg binding.

Viperbsd

Original Poster
AHBD":2oypqenm said:
Symptoms of egg binding are extreme lethargy, black beard and looking really sick over all. Your dragon may be looking to lay but nothing indicates egg binding.

So, what do you think is causing the blood?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They can pass a wee bit of blood just like humans if they're slightly constipated. Does she normally eat veggies or drink any ? In dragons a bit of blood can be from parasites as well .

Viperbsd

Original Poster
AHBD":4avm3yk9 said:
They can pass a wee bit of blood just like humans if they're slightly constipated. Does she normally eat veggies or drink any ? In dragons a bit of blood can be from parasites as well .

I feed her veggies sometimes, usually when I don’t have any crickets. I never see her drink. But, she must be drinking since she is urinating. Again, I’m not sure the blood is coming from her intestines. The blood seems to be connected to the pee rather than the stool. Would a UTI cause blood?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Reptiles have a different G.I. system than mammals do, the urate + solid poo all comes out together, not through separate organs. It's doubtful that this small amount of blood is from an infection, but having a vet check her out if this continues for a few more days might give you the answer. For hydration try dripping water on her snout slowly until she begins to drink, that usually works but you have to be patient.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would try to get a fecal done on her, if possible to be sure she doesn't have a heavy load
of worms or parasites.
Those bumps could be eggs but it is definitely hard to know for sure. Does she seem to be
straining at all, or are her urates hard or soft?
Since she is an adult, a basking spot of a range or 95-100 is fine.

Tracie

Viperbsd

Original Poster
She can’t seem to catch a break. Her bleeding stopped, but when I was feeding her greens today, she accidentally took a little piece of paper towel instead. Is this going to cause complications?!?!? Now I am really worried.

Viperbsd

Original Poster
107552-5067583728.jpg

This is the amount she ate of the paper towel. Hopefully this will pass with her next bowel movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom