Status
Not open for further replies.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
UPDATE:
I included a pile of sand where his burrow is, and now he's in there all the time, half awake and sometimes sleeping. Today, he doesn't have an interest in coming out.

I heard youre supposed to take them to the vet for brumation clearance? Is this true? :/

My beardie is about a year old and has been exhibiting some signs of brumation, but I wanted the opinion of an experienced owner since I'm nervous :/ (first dragon owner!)

Signs:
-LOTS of digging and hanging out in his hide for long periods of time
-Sleepy and lethargic
-Not too much interest in his food but still eating
-Even when he's out of the tank, he just goes somewhere to sleep.
-Poops at least 1x to 1 every other day. Stinky with water xD

I'm saving up to take him for his first physical next month, but does everything sound normal? :/

Selkie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You do not haft to take them to the vet before brumation - as long as he is of good weight 300+ grams and not showing signs of parasites/ worms he should be fine - it sounds like hes being lazy and just hanging out as the weather is having some effect on him--- mine arent eating much now either and have been hanging out in their hides on some days as well as basking others -- he is still eating even if a little is good -- get a weight on him w/ a food kitchen scale and keep track of it --- if he decides to go full brumation he will go to sleep and not come out for a while - you can turn lights off early on them but I would turn them on like you normally do --- keep him hydrated so I would get him out every 10 days or so weigh him and offer him water --
Karrie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
KarrieRee":9r217fd3 said:
You do not haft to take them to the vet before brumation - as long as he is of good weight 300+ grams and not showing signs of parasites/ worms he should be fine - it sounds like hes being lazy and just hanging out as the weather is having some effect on him--- mine arent eating much now either and have been hanging out in their hides on some days as well as basking others -- he is still eating even if a little is good -- get a weight on him w/ a food kitchen scale and keep track of it --- if he decides to go full brumation he will go to sleep and not come out for a while - you can turn lights off early on them but I would turn them on like you normally do --- keep him hydrated so I would get him out every 10 days or so weigh him and offer him water --
Karrie

Hi Karrie!
Thanks for taking a look at my question :) I believe he went into brumation today since hes been in his cave all day and totally asleep. I turned his UV and heat lamp off since he seemed disturbed by it.
Is that okay?

Also, should I be offering him food even though hes not basking?

Also, he pooped the other day but only likes to poop outside of the cage. Should i take him out tomorrow so he can relieve himself before sleeping again?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No its not uncommon for them not to poop during brumation - watch and see what he does and if he comes out to do anything bask eat or whatever then take him out - I would leave his lights on but if hes sleeping all day and doesnt come out then you can shut them off early -- the cool weather and days getting shorter I think is what triggers the brumation thing
Karrie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Awesome!

What about food? Should i leave anything out for him?
And should I leave the UVB and the heat on? Honestly he seemed a little annoyed by them, like he couldnt brumate properly

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He will brumate no matter what -- Hiccup hasnt come out all day - his lights have been on since 7 this morning and he is sleeping - I wouldnt leave any food out - I didnt feed Hiccup today I was going to wait and see if he came out of his hide - then I would of offered food -- and yes turn them on you can always shut them off early if he doesnt come out
Karrie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
KarrieRee":3f7h8q3d said:
He will brumate no matter what -- Hiccup hasnt come out all day - his lights have been on since 7 this morning and he is sleeping - I wouldnt leave any food out - I didnt feed Hiccup today I was going to wait and see if he came out of his hide - then I would of offered food -- and yes turn them on you can always shut them off early if he doesnt come out
Karrie

Ok so today Drogon woke up, ate a bit, and enjoyed some basking. During brumation, are there days where they just wake up??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
True brumation is sleeping all the time no wake up time usually --- sounds like hes slowing down and being lazy if hes still eating and basking hes not in true brumation -- just watch him and see what he does
Karrie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
KarrieRee":8nzszd3p said:
True brumation is sleeping all the time no wake up time usually --- sounds like hes slowing down and being lazy if hes still eating and basking hes not in true brumation -- just watch him and see what he does
Karrie

i'll keep an eye on him :/ just hope he's not sick

Selkie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If he was sick he would not be eating or basking- and he would be lethargic
Karrie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
KarrieRee":21huz4fi said:
If he was sick he would not be eating or basking- and he would be lethargic
Karrie

Thanks for helping me Karrie :) I've had exotics before, but none have hibernated or started to shut down. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions!

Selkie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom