Why is my bearded dragon’s tummy so big?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I’m a little concerned about my bearded dragon, she is about a year and 3 months old and she weighs about a 1 1/4lbs. Her tummy is really big, much bigger then other beardie a her size. She winces every time I pick her up, I usually scoop her up but it’s hard when she is on me. I’ve read things where she could possible be pregnant but I wanted to come on here and possible see if it’s something else.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She definitely looks plump-- has she been w/ a male? She could be gravid - has she been digging at all?
Karrie

ajpollnow18

Original Poster
She hasn’t been digging at all, she was with a male about 5 months ago, they had a little play date type thing. The male wasn’t fully grown either though the male is a few months younger then her

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Then its my guess she is w/ eggs- can you feel her abdomen for eggs- when she starts digging frantically you will need to set up a lay box so she can lay them
LAYBOX
potting soil that doesn't have any type of
chemicals or fertilizers in it, mixed with sand, etc. Be sure it is at least 10-12 inches deep & that
the mix is damp enough to where it will hold up to her making a burrow but not sopping wet to
have standing water.
Karrie

ajpollnow18

Original Poster
Oh goodness ok thank you so much. I have a few more questions though but one mainly how long is a bearded dragon Gravid?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That is a question I cannot answer but I can have you PM someone who does know
PM AHBD --- she can help w/ any questions you have --- find her on the board click on her name and on the left side of her profile find PM
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, she is really huge! Did you see her actually mate ? If she developed eggs you would have noticed a huge sudden weight gain within 3 weeks. So did she have a pretty quick weight gain or was she always pretty hefty ? How much does she eat every day ?

ajpollnow18

Original Poster
No i did not see her mate, she has gained a lot of weight in the last 3 months or so, she eats about 5 small- medium Dubai roaches and 3-4 worms a day. Once In the morning and once at night.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well it's always best to have a laybox ready in case she needs to lay. You can find tutorials on youtube if you Google b.d. laybox. Still, if she's been this big for 3 months then she's eating too much. What you described as her regular insect intake doesn't seem like it would cause this huge weight gain though. How many total dubias + worms ? The amount you listed twice a day ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would get her over on veggies and cut the insects/worms back --- if she likes to eat its best she the salads here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Maybe add a few super worms and some silk worms here and there for variety
Karrie

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
She said she doesn’t appreciate you commenting on her size ? jk

She’s probably gravid or just needs to get a little more musculature to keep her stomach from sagging. I find it adorable when babies have a little beer belly, but it’s concerning in adulthood because it’s less common to look like they are 9 months pregnant at that age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom