Soaking during brumation? (And generally)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdspdx

Our guys Azazel and Atarka have started brumating. I have seen conflicting information on bathing. Neither of them like baths, nor do they poop in or drink bath water. I do not routinely soak or bath them. They take water dripped on their nose and I think that they are well hydrated. Opinions? BeardieVet has an interesting video about whether beardies absorb moisture via their vent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiCF_hd3aHw

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a good question, one that has sparked a lot of discussion. It can be beneficial to give
them baths, simply to help hydrate their skin/scales, overall as well as to give them exercise
if they are inclined to swim around. It wont help to soak them unless they drink from their bath
because any water they may absorb through skin, etc is minimal.
If they don't like baths then you can simply give oral fluids instead to avoid unnecessary stress
on them!

Tracie

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
They’ll hate you for waking you up, just be warned. I remember waking up a tegu in brumation to make sure she was alive and I basically got to experience Jurassic-level rage. Beardies probably react less crazy.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Never soak them during brumation, they are asleep and get zero benefit and it exposes them to possible R.I.'s. Dripping water on the snout is fine if they're actually awake, about every 2 weeks is good. I've never even done that for most of my dragons unless they wake up on their own, in 25 years they all slept for 2-3 months with no interruption as they would in the wild. But no baths, that's totally useless and potentially dangerous unless they woke themselves and became active.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom