Help new bearded dragon never had one before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone got a new baby dragon last Sunday so had him a week and hes not settling he's only eating 2 or 3 locusts a day he's been basking but now he wants to sit up next to the uvb light he's window surfing and all sorts he's also shredding help what do i do do I just leave him to settle or is there something wrong I'm new to all this

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please go over the UVB brand and bulb coil or tube and where in the tank is it? NO coils!! They are inadequate! Basking temps need to be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer ---- NO stick ons they are inaccurate! If hes shedding and only been w/ you for a week of so hes also going thru relocation stress - eating will be off but he should not quit eating all together -- if he does there is a problem- are you using any colored bulbs in the tank ??
Karrie

Dannysmith1712

Original Poster
Hi kerrie
It's a tube light and temp is at 40 degrees hot end I have thermostat probe in the middle and a temp probe at the hot end and the cold end the tube is along the top of the viv and I have my basking bulb next to that with a guard no coloured bulbs and he's eating but not alot and he keeps window surfing can't settle,

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the UVB needs to be directly over him in a hood w/ a reflector - depending on what you get I recommend a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb or Arcadia 12% bulb - these are the best on the market at this time - placement depends on the screen itself - if its a fine screen like a screen door it would need to go inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly above basking decor NO back wall mounted - if its a wide holed screen like a dime or similar it can sit on top distance of 8-10 inches basking decor directly underneath -- at this point from what I see hes getting NO UVB--- basking temps and UVB are the MOST important thing in that tank --- please get it fixed - I would recommend getting him some BSFL also know as phoenix worms calci worms and nutri grubs -- they are a great staple for babies and they can be used to lure him to the salad bowl -- you want him eating salads now - also morio worms which I think are super worms can be used as well but you need small ones -- here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder -- how far is the basking bulb from him ? You do not want it any closer than 6 inches --- the probe your getting basking temps on the spot he sits correct?
Karrie

Dannysmith1712

Original Poster
The difficulty is I'm in the UK so I don't know if I can get all that stuff here and do u think he's stressed just cause of the shredding etc as he keeps window surfing and it's worrying me i am gutloading his insects I give him hoping that will still give him the nutrients

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You should be able to find that UVB bulb I have recommended -- get on google and research there for every thing I have recommended --- do you have any pet stores where you are -- call them ask for the UVB bulbs I have recommended and you need a fixture w/ a reflector this is VERY important -- google BSFL -- there are many people in the UK that have dragons and all have found the recommended fixtures and bulbs - the Arcadia is a very popular bulb where you are -- he is stessed from relocation and will eventually settle down - but you must get the lighting in order or you will have a sick dragon on your hands --- that UVB is so very important along w/ correct fixture and placement
Karrie

Dannysmith1712

Original Poster
Where would I put the thermostat probe in the middle or at the side when it was at the side it went off and on now I have it in the middle, the basking bulb stays on all the time

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The probe needs to sit where he sits to bask get the temp then you can move it again if you want but I would place it there every so often checking your basking temps - the basking light should not stay on 24 hrs -- your dragon needs 12 hrs on 12 hrs off - they sleep better in the dark w/ cool temps -- nothing below 65 F degrees -- if your tank is falling below 65 F degrees then you need a CHE ceramic heat emitter you will need a dome w/a ceramic socket for a tank 40 gallon or so 100 watt bulb - you dont want your temps tho above 80 F at nite or 80 F cool like in the 70's F --
Are you offering salads ? They need salad not just insects --
Karrie

Dannysmith1712

Original Poster
Yes I'm offering salads but doesn't eat I know the temperature probe is where he sits but the thermostat probe where does that go

zalaman

KarrieRee":3b1lvch3 said:
You should be able to find that UVB bulb I have recommended -- get on google and research there for every thing I have recommended --- do you have any pet stores where you are -- call them ask for the UVB bulbs I have recommended and you need a fixture w/ a reflector this is VERY important -- google BSFL -- there are many people in the UK that have dragons and all have found the recommended fixtures and bulbs - the Arcadia is a very popular bulb where you are -- he is stessed from relocation and will eventually settle down - but you must get the lighting in order or you will have a sick dragon on your hands --- that UVB is so very important along w/ correct fixture and placement
Karrie

UK site for reptisun 10 and all live food, https://www.reptilecentre.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom