Not Pooping After Impaction Cleared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

Hades was badly impacted for the past two weeks and was dragging his back legs. So I finally took him to the vet about two days ago. She gave him an enema and he ended up pooping a huge amount. She recommended soft worms such as butterworms, waxworms and hornworms for the next little while just so his insides can heal. He is about 4 months old. He is also on Metronidazole for the next two weeks because his stool sample showed parasites. She said it may be because he is a PetSmart lizard. Is it normal for him to not be using his legs still? And to have not pooped since the vet? He’s still eating his new worms.

Background:
- 40 gal viv
- 150 watt basking bulb
- ReptiSun T8 10.0 tube UVB mounted on the inside of his Viv lid.
- Warm baths daily
- Diet before impaction consisted of crickets, mealworms (I know, this is what caused impaction I think :( ), dandelion greens, and butternut squash. New temporary diet consists of butterworms, waxworms, and occasional hornworms with 0.2 ml of Metronidazole daily.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I posted on your other thread, as well.
Give him some time, his GI tract has been through trauma. He may not go to the bathroom
as regularly as he did previously, only time will tell. The medication will hopefully help to clear
anything else out but you will need to keep him hydrated.
I would try to give a probiotic for him as well for a few weeks.
Your setup is fine so that definitely is not the problem at all. Hopefully he doesn't have any
nerve damage from his impaction. Just give him some time to heal up right now.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

colleen1999

Original Poster
Drache613":3j1gpab3 said:
Hello,

I posted on your other thread, as well.
Give him some time, his GI tract has been through trauma. He may not go to the bathroom
as regularly as he did previously, only time will tell. The medication will hopefully help to clear
anything else out but you will need to keep him hydrated.
I would try to give a probiotic for him as well for a few weeks.
Your setup is fine so that definitely is not the problem at all. Hopefully he doesn't have any
nerve damage from his impaction. Just give him some time to heal up right now.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Hi Tracie,

Good news! Hades had another big poop today on his own and is loving the worms. Still not moving his back legs but that will probably take some time. What could I use as a probiotic for him?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great news to hear that he finally passed things through his system! Did he seem to have
any trouble? I do think that he has probably has some tender nerves though but I doubt that
he is parallyzed. Reptiles heal very slowly so give him a bit more time.
You could try doing some water therapy for him daily, letting him move & swim around in a
nice, warm bath. That could encourage some strength & conditioning for the muscles.

Let us know how he is doing!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom