New beardie mama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I got Groot around 3 months ago when groot was abt 2 weeks old. Groot has grown significantly since then, but I just want to make sure my setup is fine. In terms of my lighting I have 150W zoomed bulb and fixture for his basking light and a zoomed long UVB lamp that goes across his whole tank I believe it was a T5 10.0 bulb, it’s what my local reptile shop recommended. He’s house in a 40G terrarium. His diet consist primarily or crickets, dubias in either calcium powder or multivit and mustard greens. He occasionally gets waxworms, cilantro, cucumber, watermelon, and apples. He poops every day. There’s been one or 2 instances where he skips a day but it’s never been longer than that. He sheds about every 2-3 weeks. I have a several thermometers and humidity readers including a laser one where you shoot the beam to read the temp. Any suggestions on anything would be appreciated!

Yesterday was an odd day as he was hiding in his cave from about 2PM till this morning. He did it want to eat lunch or dinner, but he did eat breakfast this morning. I initially had his cave under his basking light so that he could bask on top and hide under but I thought the heat was also going into his cave and didn’t want him to overheat. Now I moved his cave to the cool side and hung his hammocks to his basking area. Do you think this was a good idea?

He glasssurfs occasionally and still doesn’t really like to be handled, he runs around when trying to grab him, but when he’s out he does like to explore. Hell come to the front of the vivarium everyday seeming like he wants to come out but when I attempt to let him come on to my hand he runs.

Again any input/suggestions/comments are appreciated!!

109464-5587195177.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Everything sounds pretty good - I have a question about the screen on the tank -- is it a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed screen like a dime or similar to? Distance also plays a role in the UVB -- it sounds like hes slowing down w/ the hiding in the cave all day -- they tend to do that this time of year- he could be getting ready to go into brumation - I would get a weight on him now w/ a food kitchen scale and then keep track of it incase he decides hes going to do this more often -- weigh in grams -- I would start holding him more --- let him sit on you while watching TV get him used to being held--- even 10 minutes every time you bring him out will get him used to being held --- most of them like to cuddle and take naps
Karrie

Jeesicaag13

Original Poster
Thanks for the response!

His screen cover is not mesh, it’s more of a hard plastic cover with small holes, like really small, the original cover it came with. His UVB is about 10 in away from his rock.

Yesterday he was hiding all day, it was really hot, today he is more active and ate both breakfast and lunch.

Whenever I take him out he tends to run all over the place rather than sit still, is this normal? Is he just wanting to explore? Any tips to calm him?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes that is normal for them to run that is good - you can try putting him on the back of a couch or chair to look out your LR window they like to look outside
the UVB should go into the tank w/ the fine mesh --- if it was wide holed the distance would be fine but at this point hes not getting much UBV -- you want it inside the tank approx 12-15 inches from his basking decor
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom