Altering Feeding for Baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunDragon

My almost 6 week old baby beardie is absolutely not interested in eating in the morning. After some time I realized that until he poops, he does not want to eat. Which makes sense, I guess, because there is no where for the food to go yet in that tiny body. So is it ok to wait until I see that he pooped before offering food? He poops daily with just one time he skipped a day, and I mist him so he can drink the drops once a day and sometimes twice a day.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They wont eat if they are cold - he needs to warm up for an hr or so before feeding -- try that and see if that helps- when they are that young he needs to be eating two - three times per day depending on how much hes eating in the morning - when I had Blaze at 3 months old he ate salad BSFL small super worms and dubias - salad was offered first w/ the BSFL and 3 small super worms w/ the salad - I fed him like 10 or so BSFL as they are small - after eating for like an hr or so out of that food bowl I would then take the small dubias and add to the salad -- I also added some small silk worms every now and then too - for a little while not long tho he ate a second feeding but as he got older he quit w/ the second feedings - I think he was really filling up in the morning
Karrie

SunDragon

Original Poster
Hi Karrie,
Thank you so much for the information. My baby was warming up for 2-3 hours before I feed him each day. He was eating twice a day fine and given a salad later in the day but he doesn’t eat any of the salad-at all since I have had him. Yesterday we upgraded size of crickets from pinhead to small 1/4-1/2”. He is interested in the crickets and has been ignoring wax worms and meal worms when I bring those out. Today at 3pm he ate 4 of these bigger crickets, which I was told each of them are the equivalent of 4-5 pinheads. So if that’s the case, he is eating the same amount. I think in the morning he is still digesting?? Also some spots on the top of his back are getting lighter but nothing has shed off yet, so maybe he will be going through his first molt soon??

I will offer more crickets with his salad today and see if he comes down. He hasn’t pooped yet today but I hadn’t checked for the last hour or so. I am trying to diversify his bugs but he really isn’t cooperating. Last night he found a hidden mealworm and ate it. That was the first time I saw him eat one in several days. Maybe he just likes the hunt and crickets are more interesting?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Make sure your not feeding him crickets bigger than the size between his eyes length wise-- please no more meal worms- we have more babies impacted from them and wax worms are real fatty so feed those sparingly-- the shed will effect their eating- please get some BSFL some small super worms and some dubias--- I will post some websites later tonite- please post a pic of him and a cricket next to him
Karrie

SunDragon

Original Poster
I’ve read several conflicting accounts regarding mealworms. The breeder I bought him from had been using them. I’d like to get dubias. I only offer the wax worms once or twice a week. I will send a picture of the baby but I can’t get a cricket in there with it right now but will send a separate photo of it. I realize my dragon likes to chase so I was planning Dubia instead of BSFL. I will send photos as soon as I can.

SunDragon

Original Poster
This was the best I could do.

109342-3795527425.jpg

109342-818467420.jpg

I didn’t get much choice at the store. It was either pinheads or these guys.I am almost certain they are 1/4 inch crickets.
I have seen him eat them and go after them and I am about 98% sure they are smaller than between his eyes. I do remember reading about that. The employee there that day is generally not as helpful as others. I asked for 1/4 inch and he said he gave me “smalls” so I was a bit frustrated when I bought them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
BSFL are great for babies -- they draw them to the salad bowl and they dont need to be dusted w/ calcium as they are high in calcium-- dubias are a great compliment to the BSFL - I fed my baby both - he eventually out grew the BSFL and didnt eat them any more so I have stopped feeding them - that is when I also started offering silk worms another great staple feeder- here are some websites for you
ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
https://symtonbsf.com/
http://www.mulberryfarms.com/ high on shipping
www.aafeeder.com/feeder-worms/superworms/ they have a bundle pack check that out
www.www.coastalsilkworms.com they have a east coast and a west coast
www.reptilianarts.com great silk worms - they usually carry small in bulk but have been out they do not come w/ food but cupped do come w/ food
I would look at getting small super worms and some dubias -- the small super worms from here come in paper w/ food no food so I would get them from mulberry farms along w / some butter worms as well those are good worms to feed - do not get any horn worms at this time from them I think they are shipping bigger ones than he can eat and they grow really fast -- they are a great hydrating worm tho
Karrie

SunDragon

Original Poster
Will BSFL move around? If it only wiggles my baby doesn’t seem interested. But I really hope he likes them because I know they are good for him. Thank you so much for all the websites and resources. I will be checking all of them out. Did the crickets in the photo look ok?

I feel like my little guy is being a picky eater. I plan to buy 25 dubias soon to see if he even likes them. I need to look into small orders of BSFL too.

Quick question, if you so 2 insect feedings/day should both be dusted or just one? And should the salad that evening also be dusted or are you ok dusting only one meal/day?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Only dust the crickets or dubias once per feeding-- the pic of the dragon didn't show couldn't see him - and yes the bsfl move around so the movement will lure him to the bowl-- don't dust the salads-- he's going to eat the insects so dust those-
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom