Baby bearded dragon both eyes closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bought a bearded dragon about 4 days ago and at about the second day he started to close his one eye he would eat still then today he now has both eyes closed and won’t eat he will open his eyes sometimes but then close them right away there is no crust or discharge his eyes aren’t sunken in also my light set up was a 80w powersun all in one light that does basking and uvb to light up the rest of the tank I used a led light strip I thought that was the problem so I turned that off but that wasn’t the issue since it’s gotten worse if anyone can help that would be great thank you soo much!!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

This behavior sounds like he may be suffering from a bad UVB light. Usually, the Zoomed
Powersun is a decent bulb. An 80 watt shouldn't be too bad. How close to him is it & what
sized tank are you using?
If possible, post some pictures for us, of the tank setup along with your dragon so we can
see how everything is arranged for him.
For now, do you have a regular flood or halogen light (Non UVB) that you could use for him
to bask until we figure this out? Or, can you move the Powersun a little further away from him
to see if that helps?

Tracie

Beardie572

Original Poster
Drache613":3f86j7dy said:
Hello,

This behavior sounds like he may be suffering from a bad UVB light. Usually, the Zoomed
Powersun is a decent bulb. An 80 watt shouldn't be too bad. How close to him is it & what
sized tank are you using?
If possible, post some pictures for us, of the tank setup along with your dragon so we can
see how everything is arranged for him.
For now, do you have a regular flood or halogen light (Non UVB) that you could use for him
to bask until we figure this out? Or, can you move the Powersun a little further away from him
to see if that helps?

Tracie

I took out the powersun yesterday and put in a regular basking bulb he is in a 20 gallon and I measured the light is about 9 to 10 inches away from him was wondering if any like meds I can put in his eyes to help him like those turtle eye drops or something I am going to the store today to buy a t8 fixture for a repti sun 10.0 my pervious bearded dragon lived till he was 9 and that’s the light I had and he had no problems I went with the powersun because it was nice and easy and with a smaller tank i don’t have a ton of room on top of the cage to put lights his basking spot is always at around 102 to 107 depends on my room temp his cool side is about 75 humidity is 40

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

That photo shows signs of shedding around the eyes and nose. Face sheds can really bug them a lot and may be why he is closing his eyes. If that is the case, no intervention should be needed aside from maybe putting something a bit rough like bark or carpeting near him to rub his face on.

Beardie572

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2l9ym809 said:
You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

That photo shows signs of shedding around the eyes and nose. Face sheds can really bug them a lot and may be why he is closing his eyes. If that is the case, no intervention should be needed aside from maybe putting something a bit rough like bark or carpeting near him to rub his face on.

Ok cool thank you

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He does look to be getting ready to shed on his face area. His nose plugs are present &
so hopefully that is the only problem going on. How is he doing today?

Tracie

Beardie572

Original Poster
Drache613":1usabay4 said:
Hello,

He does look to be getting ready to shed on his face area. His nose plugs are present &
so hopefully that is the only problem going on. How is he doing today?

Tracie

He is doing much better he is back to eating I gave him a bath and just to be safe I changed his lighting to the way I had it before with my old dragon just in case it was the mercury vapor bulb bothering him he still closes his left eye still but any movement and he opens it

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great to hear he is doing a lot better now!
Ok, so which lights are you using for him now? It sounds like maybe the Powersun might
have been a little strong for the tank size. I'm glad to know that he has improved for you.

Tracie

Beardie572

Original Poster
Drache613":1j92rrfp said:
Hello,

That is great to hear he is doing a lot better now!
Ok, so which lights are you using for him now? It sounds like maybe the Powersun might
have been a little strong for the tank size. I'm glad to know that he has improved for you.

Tracie

So the lights I am using now is a 75w basking bulb and a 24inch reptisun 10.0 tube light I have used this with my old bearded dragon and I loved it my mistake was trying to go a little cheaper with the powersun but I still thought it was a good bulb but I am happy I just put the money up and bought the right stuff now.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is excellent to hear the Reptisun 10 tube & basking light are working well for him now.
Maybe the Powersun was just too powerful for a smaller tank. How are his eyes doing, have
they shed yet?

Tracie

Beardie572

Original Poster
Drache613":146gsx9q said:
Hello,

That is excellent to hear the Reptisun 10 tube & basking light are working well for him now.
Maybe the Powersun was just too powerful for a smaller tank. How are his eyes doing, have
they shed yet?

Tracie
He still has a couple of spots on his head to shed but I don’t see much by his eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom