Stress marks and closing one eye!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi so I recently bought a baby bearded dragon I have had him for about three days now. He has a ton of stress marks always unless he is sleeping he also now is always closing one eye when he is basking He just went threw a head shed and I don’t see any stuck shed on his eye or anything when he opens his eye it looks clear and good he eats ok about 20 or 30 crickets a day wish he would eat more I have him in a 20 gallon long for now and building his new tank as he is in there for lighting I have a power sun 80w for his heat and uvb the other side of the tank was a little dark so I installed some led strip lights to light the tank up some more and for night time I have a 60w Che his basking temps range from 100 to 105 never dropping under 100 cool side is about 76 or so if any one can help that would be great thank you.

Hallo so I'm a new beardie owner as well, I got mine a couple weeks back and I've learned so much so maybe I can help, first off the stress marks are totally fine don't worry about those, your little guy is just adjusting to the new move, second thing is closing one eye I find my baby Rex doing that when he's watching something or hunting, but it may mean that your uvb or basking light is a little to bright so I would try for a couple hours moving the light a little to the left so it's not so bright if he keeps doing it then you could probably check off the light, if so your beardie can see two ways and closing his eye is a better way to focus on what he wants, also your beardie is a great eater! I wouldn't worry about getting him to eat more as your right in that sweet spot. And finally your basking temps are great, I would make sure he's getting warm at night and pooping everday.

Beardie572

Original Poster
CookieBeast12":24sgmlw7 said:
Hallo so I'm a new beardie owner as well, I got mine a couple weeks back and I've learned so much so maybe I can help, first off the stress marks are totally fine don't worry about those, your little guy is just adjusting to the new move, second thing is closing one eye I find my baby Rex doing that when he's watching something or hunting, but it may mean that your uvb or basking light is a little to bright so I would try for a couple hours moving the light a little to the left so it's not so bright if he keeps doing it then you could probably check off the light, if so your beardie can see two ways and closing his eye is a better way to focus on what he wants, also your beardie is a great eater! I wouldn't worry about getting him to eat more as your right in that sweet spot. And finally your basking temps are great, I would make sure he's getting warm at night and pooping everday.

Ok thank you so much just want the little dude to be as healthy and happy as possible thanks for everything.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree not to worry about the dark lines on their belly. These are common with young dragons and I feel that the term stress marks is misleading. They usually darken to bask and absorb light. The eye closing is also common while basking and likely just means relaxation. Since your PowerSun is the source of heat and UVB, I would keep it on all day. It should remain directly overhead over the basking area. Your dragon will move away from it if it starts to become a bother or if he wants to have access to some cooler temps (which is fine - you want to provide variety for them). What are the surface temps overnight? You want the enclosure to cool off a bit overnight. If the tank temps stay over 65 then you don't really need the CHE. I try to keep my enclosure between about 68-73 overnight which does require a CHE in the cold winter months.

Beardie572

Original Poster
CooperDragon":26fi1ra8 said:
I agree not to worry about the dark lines on their belly. These are common with young dragons and I feel that the term stress marks is misleading. They usually darken to bask and absorb light. The eye closing is also common while basking and likely just means relaxation. Since your PowerSun is the source of heat and UVB, I would keep it on all day. It should remain directly overhead over the basking area. Your dragon will move away from it if it starts to become a bother or if he wants to have access to some cooler temps (which is fine - you want to provide variety for them). What are the surface temps overnight? You want the enclosure to cool off a bit overnight. If the tank temps stay over 65 then you don't really need the CHE. I try to keep my enclosure between about 68-73 overnight which does require a CHE in the cold winter months.

Ok thank you and I have the che because if I open my window in my room it gets really cold so I turn it on but I don’t have it on every night just when I need it and yeah last night my temp was at 71 so that’s perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom