Hasn't had a full body shed in almost 7 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there,
If any of you have seen my previous posts, I freak out a little bit about my Beardie's growth. I'm honestly just trying to ride it out at this point but I want to know what you guys think and what I should do.

My Bearded dragon is currently 16 inches long from nose to tail tip (he has a slight nub tail) He was 9 inches when I had first got him.

I have had him for about 10 months. I will have had him for one year on November 19th. I honestly think he's 1 year old at this point.

He has not had a full body shed since February this year. The most he got was a face shed in July. It will have been almost 7 months he has not had a full body shed.

He has been 16 inches since his last shed and has not shown any growth in length.

However, he has been gaining weight steadily. In April, he was about 390 grams. Now, he is about 490 grams. Approximately 100 gram gain in the past 6 months.

He is sometimes lazy in his tank. Somedays he'll stay on his hammock all day or run around the tank nonstop the next. He is plenty active if I let him run around room.

He eats Superworms, Dubia Roaches, and Waxworms. He will eat Kale if there is nothing else to eat. I plan to transition to mostly veggies soon.

He poops about once a week. I give him a 10 minute bath every other week and I try to hydrate him with a water dropper once a week.

Setup:
40 gallon tank (36 × 18 × 12)
Reptisun T5 5.0 UVB Fluorescent Tube Light (about 6 inches from from basking spot)
100°F - 110°F basking spot
Repticarpet
2 available hides

Is this behavior/growth rate/shedding cycle normal or is it something I should be concerned about now? Please let me know what you guys think.

106660-2468077620.jpg
This is what he looks like now, this pic was taken a few weeks ago.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks pretty good and healthy. His weight gain corresponds with what I've seen as they reach full length. Their shedding continues, but is more patchy and much less frequent than it is when they are younger.It's probably a good idea to start transitioning him over to a primarily vegetarian diet. Give him nice big salads and rotate what you offer to try to find some favorites. Hand feeding may be helpful, at least at first. Over the next 6 months or so you'll want to try to bring his diet down to bugs only once or twice per week and a nice big salad every day (very roughly 80% overall diet or so)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom