What the vet said

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have had Rosie (approx 3 years old) for a month now and I seem to always be posting about something as we just keep having issues with her.
In the last week or more she has been barely eating, no salad but 2-4 woodies every other day.
I then found mites which I have now treated.
She was very skinny when we got her and she doesnt look any better now.
Took her to the vet and she was cleared of parasites but he said he is pretty sure he can feel follicles. We will get blood test results tomorrow that will hopefully give me some more insight into what is going on. I have been given a can of Royal canin recovery food to syringe feed into her.
The vet fears she is more sick than she looks and I just don't know what to do.

UVB: Reptisun T5 10.0 inside enclosure 15 inch from her
Basking: 105
Cool: 75

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
10% t5 UVB 15 inches from basking spot is too far to provide adequate UVB and UVA .

Inadequate UVA will result is depressed apetite and longer term neurological issues.

Inadequare UVB will result in MBD.

Ideally your 10% UVB t5 tube if mounted in a good quality reflector hood and with no mesh screen under it should be about 10" from the basking spot .

littlelizyd

Original Poster
The uvb is in a reflector and I had it about 10 inches away and was told on here that it was too close and to raise it to 12-15 inches away. Now I'm confused, not that I think her issues have anything to do with the uvb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would try dropping it to 12 inches and see if that improves the appetite-- all you can do is try
Karrie

littlelizyd

Original Poster
Well I got the blood test results back today and looks like her white blood cell count is high. The vet is concerned that she may have follicular stasis as she has a few symptoms that might suggest that.
She will start a 2-3week course of antibiotics tomorrow with a review in a week to see how she is going.
I am very concerned knowing that antibiotics can be very tough on them and her already being so underweight that she's not going to survive.
She ate 4 dubia roaches, 1 mealworm and one tiny blueberry today which is good she is still eating even if it is very hit and miss.
I am syringe feeding her about 1ml of the canned stuff the vet gave us mixed with a drop of Raw unpasteurised honey and tomorrow ill make some squash and kale puree to add to it so she's not only eating protein. Ill also get some soy yoghurt to help her while she's on the antibiotics but im worried that with me syringe feeding her plus now having to take medications that I'm stressing her out and doing more harm than good.

Any advice??
109183-7204359863.jpg

littlelizyd

Original Poster
Rosie ate really well today and scoffed about 6 woodies. Im supposed to start her on her antibiotics today, 0.1ml of both Flagyl and Enrotril but im really worried these meds are going to mess her up just when she started to eat a bit better.
Not sure if I should hold off on the antibiotics?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, that's great news that she started eating better ! The WBC is not that high, sometimes a dragon will be tested 2 weeks later and it's back down. Since she just started eating well I personally would hold off on the meds. and not disturb the good trend but you'll have to make that decision. You might want to get her tested for ADV [ atadenovirus ] Drache613 [ one of the mods. here ] actually works with the research lab that is looking for a cure. Tracie can get the test done for a very low price if you contact her and she has a wealth of knowledge in case Rosie IS positive. Can you post pics of Rosie and her set up ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

littlelizyd

Original Poster
Thank you for the advice.
I decided to hold off on the meds as she ate really well again today, A few small pieces of strawberry, she did avoid her greens as usual but she ran straight for the plate which is a really good sign, she also ate about 8 woodies.
I would get the ADV test through Tracey but im in Australia and vets here charge a fortune. This vet visit just cost me $400 just for the consult and bloods and that wasn't even a full blood test as he couldn't get alot of blood from her.
Her enclosure is very bare at the moment so it's easy to clean as I'm still treating her for mites.
Do you think the mites could have caused her raised wbc?because I find it interesting that after treating her she seems to be eating and acting a little bit better.
109183-3571077674.jpg
109183-5849714731.jpg
109183-2316604881.jpg
109183-3737021168.jpg
109183-5642478205.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes it's possible that stress from the mites could cause a spike in her WBC. That's really good that she's eating well again though ! Be sure to offer water by dripping it on her snout with an eyedropper, syringe or spray bottle of giving her a short lukewarm soak and dribbling it on her snout .

littlelizyd

Original Poster
I have been offering water by drips on her nose but she never licks it and same for in the bath but she did drink heaps of water the first day I got her so as long as I keep offering it I know she'll drink when she's thirsty.

littlelizyd

Original Poster
Just an update on Rosie and I'm pleased to say its all good news. I never ended up having to give the antibiotics as she has been doing so well. Haven't seen a mite in ages so looks like that's not an issue any more either. She's eating so many woodies that I actually have to stop her as im trying to go slow with protein as she gains weight. Salad is still hit and miss but most days she at least has a nibble here and there. She just seems so much brighter and with a lot more energy.
Her lowest weight was 230g and she now weighs 278g, she's still quite boney but slow and steady seems to be working. The photos are from today and I think I can notice a difference in her overall appearance.
109183-6642558900.jpg
109183-5209953426.jpg
109183-599069274.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's really good to hear, thanks for the update.! She does look much better, the tail has definitely fleshed out some and even the fleshy pads on her head look more filled out and her over all appearance looks much better. You've done a good job taking care of her ! :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Good for her------------- I would add some super worms to her diet along w/ some silk worms and meal worms -- add them to her salads to see if you can get her to eat them - the movement usually draws them to the bowl -- you can also get some BSFL as well -- they are good salad toppers
Karrie

littlelizyd

Original Poster
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with her progress so far.

I have a tub of mealworms that she refuses to eat which is strange as they used to be her favourite and I am currently growing silkworms.
I tried her on BSFL about a month back and she didn't touch them, they only wriggle a little bit and she has one dodgy eye so I thought that might have been why but it was when she wasn't eating much of anything so I might try them again.
I'll update here in a few weeks time with some updated photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom