Water dish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munchykin

Hello!
My beardie FINALLY came out of brumation. A solid 4 month one at that, and I’m moving him over to his new enclosure soon. He’s going from a 40 gallon to a 120g. I’ve been stuck up on one thing though is his water dish, for context my beardie has issues drinking from non moving water dishes so I’ve decided to get his something where the water is always moving. I can either get his a dog water bowl with a little waterfall which he could also climb in or I could get him a small normal dish and put an aquarium bubbler inside. Both of these options are similar costs but the normal water dish he could not get inside (which I would rather him not since his enclosure is wood) but does he need 24/7 access to a bath? I bathe him regularly so I don’t think it’s necessary but wanted opinions. To boil it down:
Dog bowl with waterfall
Pros- he can get Inside and safely swim any point in the day, has filtered water and a nice visual. Brings humidity
Cons- takes up quite a bit of space and costs a little more

Small corner dish with bubbler
Pros- safe drinking water and takes up less space,less chance of spilling anything is his mostly wood enclosure. Brings humidity
Cons- he can not swim in it/ bathe and doesn’t have as nice of a visual.

Any opinions would be very helpful, thank you!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would be wary of a waterfall -- they tend to bring the humidity up too high and for dragon whos a desert animal I would advise against it - if you need him to drink offer water on his nose or eye dropper or bath - the best bet is rinsing his greens / salads before serving
Karrie

Munchykin

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1g9l9dz2 said:
I would be wary of a waterfall -- they tend to bring the humidity up too high and for dragon whos a desert animal I would advise against it - if you need him to drink offer water on his nose or eye dropper or bath - the best bet is rinsing his greens / salads before serving
Karrie

Yes I agree it does bring humidity up, but I actually am having a problem giving him enough humidity. His average humidity is 16% and from what I’ve read it should be 30%-40%. His humidity this a large water dish in there now is usually 28% average.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so your almost there w/ the water dish - are you putting the water dish on the hot side of the tank?
Karrie

Munchykin

Original Poster
KarrieRee":26pke4l3 said:
Ok so your almost there w/ the water dish - are you putting the water dish on the hot side of the tank?
Karrie

Yes! It will also be on top of a heat pad to the water stays warm.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Munchykin":wh9kskj2 said:
KarrieRee":wh9kskj2 said:
Karrie

Yes! It will also be on top of a heat pad to the water stays warm.

warm water evaporates faster , so this will have the effect of boosting in tank humidity , OK for a frog or skink , but best to avoid for a central bearded dragon.

I don't have water dishes in my bearded dragon tanks or rearing tubs (when little).

Better off providing fresh salad and chopped veg , or nice juicy live insects like silkworms , bsfl to help boost the dragon's hydration levels or give water by dropping water on the dragon's snout .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom