Need help figuring out why beardie died before I get another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veltz

I bought an 8 week old beardie for my son who turned 7. We had it for only 17 days before it passed. I bought everything I needed for the tank including lights and accessories from a reputable pet store. They gave me good info and I spent many night researching before I bought it. The first couple days he would eat 5-10 crickets a day but slowly declined after that. Eventually wouldn’t eat anything. At first I figured stress from moving. Then he started shedding which I heard can be stressful. We left him in the tank and did not handle him for 7 days in hopes he would get comfortable. He was still drinking water but not eating much. I just figured it had to do with the new location then the shedding. Then he died. I am a lover of all animals and feel awful that this happed. Before I get another one I need to know what happened. I triple checked the lights over and over and seemed all correct. Basking spot was 100-110 degrees, cooling spot was 75 degree. And at night with the lights off it went down to 67 degrees. Tank is 36x18x18. I’ve attached images of my set up and lights.
109431-9329291153.jpg

109431-5678653074.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am so sorry he passed :( it is hard to say why he could of been sick when you got him we really don't know for sure- I can tell you get rid of the coil UVB- they are NO good- the most important thing in that tank is basking temps and UVB- you need a digital probe thermometer to get actual basking temps- and you need a 24" fixture w/ a reflector-- this is good for a 40+ gallon tank - you need this bulb a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 -- you can get this from here
www.pangeareptiles.com they are offering free shipping now-- code free ship- ends Oct 5th before you get another one please sanitize the tank w/ F 10 -- rescue-- or zoo meds wipeout- it is normal for them to be off their food it's called relocation stress- but they should eat something same w/ shedding- since we don't know exactly why he passed it is best to sanitize- if you need more help please ask - do not listen to the pet shop people most do not know what they're talking about- if you have more questions please ask
Karrie

Veltz

Original Poster
Thanks Karrie
I appreciate the info. I will definitely sanitize the tank before getting another. Will also be getting a better light fixture for uvb. I hear the tube type that hangs inside the cage would be better? I do have digital thermometer that I used to regularly check the temps. It scares me a bit to get such a young bearded dragon but I really want one that will grow up knowing us. But I don’t want to go thru what we went thru with this one. I’m glad I found this forum tho. Lots of good information.
Peter.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Depending on your screen it can sit on top - but we can figure that out when you get the fixture and your little one- I would not go back to the same place you got him from - it is so hard to figure why he passed- :(.
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry for the loss of your dragon, I know how heart breaking it is. :cry: Without doing a
necropsy, it is virtually impossible to know for sure what exactly happened. You have only had
him for a short amount of time, so I doubt the compact/coil UVB would have caused the
passing of him.
There is adeno virus that can cause sudden death just out of the blue.
We will help as much as we can, in your setup, etc, if you do bring another one home.

Tracie

Veltz

Original Poster
Thanks Tracie
I looked up adeno virus and he was displaying pretty much everyone of the symptoms. I believe that’s what happed. Finding this chat room gives me great confidence moving forward. I appreciate all the comments and help.
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom