Basking

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Hello everyone. I realized I had been underfeeding Tokyo slighltly for a few weeks. I would give him salad, then a small portion of dubias, then a large one. He is about 6 months old i think. I'll start giving him 2 large portions a day with 3/4" bsfl mixed in, should this be fine, and do you think he will catch up if he had lost some growth?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sure he'll be fine. Especially if he has been eating the salads and getting a nice balance of nutrients that way.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He barely ever finished it but it was almost every day that he ate about half or a bit more. Also, I have a hammock set up for him to bask, but he doesnt use it that much. Instead he lays on the side of his food bowl, which is also pretty close to the basking lamp, but not as close where ideal temps are present. Could it be that he likes a more solid surface to lay on? Or perhaps it's because he poops on that hammock? (I keep it clean tho)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Half a salad is pretty good for a little one. As far as the basking goes, he may just prefer the hard surface over the hammock. He may prefer slightly cooler temps too. Try setting up a flat piece of driftwood or maybe a flat smooth rock as a basking spot and see how that goes over. Might take a bit of adjustment and then watching his reaction to see what he prefers most.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So update: I did end up switching to a harder surface and monitored him for a while, and he basks a lot more now. But since I haven't used rocks for basking yet I'm not sure how hot tue rock has to be, since it gets hotter than a hammock. The cool side ambient air temp is 75-80 (a bit low?), the ambient air on the basking side is something more like 85-89 (too low as well?) If I lay the probe directly on the rock it shows 107, but the rock feels hotter to the touch than that, perhaps the probe is just picking up air temp. Say if I were to be using one of those thermometer guns, pointed directly at the rock, what should the temp be? (My first tike using new colors and underlining, I'm excited LOL)

lin66

My pancake likes to straddle his food dish or a rock when he needs to poop. Maybe Tokyo is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom