Extending the fridge life of greens?

Discuss topics of food for your beardies here.

Extending the fridge life of greens?

Postby saraho » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:01 am

I was given a large quantity of carrot greens for Charlie. He absolutely adores them, but I don't know if I can feed them to him fast enough to use them before they go bad. I hate to waste these greens in particular because they are only available for a short time. I can't find them in grocery stores around here so we are stuck with waiting for friends and family to grow carrots in their gardens. I usually rinse the greens with water and then wrap the stems with a damp paper towel before putting them in the fridge. Is there anything else I can do to prolong their shelf life?
“Let me tell you: the only way to get rid of dragons is to have one of your own.”
― Evgeny Shvarts,
saraho
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Extending the fridge life of greens?

Postby CooperDragon » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:38 am

Some greens last longer than others. Collards tend to get the most mileage for me and dandelion greens seem most fragile. I usually wash the greens then dry them, put them in a ziploc with a folded paper towel, remove the air, and put them in the crisper drawer. That usually works fairly well. Some people swear by keeping greens in a salad spinner in the fridge. I don't have one of those to try, but it may also be worth a shot. There are also some containers I've seen (similar to a salad spinner in design I think) that are designed specifically for holding greens.

Having a roach colony is helpful in this case because they do such a great job of eating the leftovers.
CooperDragon

Re: Extending the fridge life of greens?

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:29 am

Chop the greens , grate veg , mix and freeze in icecube trays , thaw a cube or two as needed.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Feeding