New supplement and worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
I have been giving Freyja zoo med calcuim without d3 and calcium with d3. I have been dusting 4-5 days a week with calcium and she eats alot of bsfl. 2 days or so she gets the with d3 and so far so good. But i was told to get a vitamin so i got the reptivite but was adviced to look for beta due to the fact they use actual vitamin a. So i went and picked up the rep cal herptivite without d3. I am so upset with myself because i skimmed through info and missed where it said to mix supplement with a calcium d3 supplement. So i didnt she got just the herptivite. But a few hours later when i got her out and chilled for a bit which my wife and i do everynight before i put her to bed. she was lethargic looking but we figured maybe shes just tired becuase i couldnt think of anything i had done wrong today and she was fine this morning. also she was not just stressed under the neck but, the top of her head a bit of her back and her belly its all dark.... ive seen her neck get a lil darker here and there but ive been told normal from her journey and all but weve had her a couple weeks now and today was in my opinion the best day we have had. got my temps perfect, my measurements, she was basking more than she ever has which was such a relief so wth i dont know, please tell me i havent poisoned her or something! she is in a shed i know that and rubbing her face alot poor baby. what will the herptivite alone do ? is it something else? am so upset with myself i could of just read it properly i didnt realize till i read it after the fact.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
well she looks much better today so she is getting her first feed with calcium d3 that should of been mixed with herptivite. i had 100 views no replies so i assume it was a dumb post but the directions say to do one thing and i did another so it had me worried. But black is gone stress marks gone we all good. Have a great day everyone

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think it would take a fair bit of time/dosage for a supplementation issue to start causing problems. I doubt you caused an issue in this case and the lethargy and dark coloring was due to being exhausted after a good day and coincidental. I'm glad to hear she seems to be feeling better this morning =)

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Thankyou CooperDragon im a worry wart but thankyou now i know anything supplemental would have be long term not a one time screw up.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your dragon is looking really good ! I agree with Cooper that no harm was done, one thing to be aware of is to only use any supplement very sparingly. Just a very light coating per 2-3 X a week is good. I like that beautiful piece of wood he's sitting on. :)

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
I got that from amazon, driftwood ill find the link and put it up for you.
only dust 2-3 day with calcium or the herptivite? i use both and from now on i will mix the two like it says. I think i may be putting to much now that you say sparingly lol ill use less too

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What I do to supplement bugs is put the bugs in an empty yogurt cup (anything similar will work) then sprinkle some calcium powder into the cup and gently shake until the bugs have a light even coat. The excess falls to the bottom of the cup and I can tip the cup a bit to let them crawl out one by one to feed them off.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
That’s a great idea so you don’t dump the excess powder into their bowl. And you do this only 2 week she is 3-4 months and I was told to do five days a week ? We’re they wrong ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good question . If you think about it this way there is such a variety of reptiles that the company is geared to with these products that they usually recommend almost every day. That may be because many reptiles eat only 7-10 insects a day, give or take a few. So the amount of supplement the reptile would get per feeding would be far less than a beardie who , at a young age while growing, eats about 5 times as much. So the amount of supplement being used for a beardie with 20 or so insects per feeding is going to be much more than the average chameleon, leopard or crested gecko, etc. who is eating a much smaller number of insects.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
So do it two times a week and that’s sufficient with the amount of bugs at her being a baby eats

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Thank you CooperDragon and AHBD! I’ll do three times a week along with salads and she gets a lot of bsfl so she gets calcium from those too. So I’ll do her reptivite with the zoo med calcium d3 sparingly 3 times week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom