Help! Yellow fungus or stuck shed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh good, glad that you were able to get some. And hopefully you can get a vet to fill a scrip for you of the voriconazole. Sorry I wasn't back on yesterday, I didn't get any notifications for this thread.

justinewin

Original Poster
AHBD":oqm2dhj7 said:
Oh good, glad that you were able to get some. And hopefully you can get a vet to fill a scrip for you of the voriconazole. Sorry I wasn't back on yesterday, I didn't get any notifications for this thread.

No, thank you! You helped me alot. It's Yuzu's 4th day on cream and betadine. I was able to help him shed some scales but underneath it looks like fresh flesh. I’m attaching some photos below. Do you think he does have a fungal infection on top of stuck shed? I noticed he also lost some of his torns near his neck/jaw :/

92512-8347251992.jpg
92512-9681707019.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He without a doubt has a fungal infection. Many of us here have owned dragons for 10, 15, 20 or more years and seen 1,000's of sheds. This is not shed. Fungus affects the area so that the skin + scales slough off at times, that's why his spikes are coming off. You're doing a good job, keep it up. Can you get some unpasteurized honey ? It is a powerful antifungal /antimicrobial and can be used along with the other things. Use it every other day by itself just to see if it makes a difference. Is Yuzu eating anything ?

justinewin

Original Poster
AHBD":v8ui9xys said:
He without a doubt has a fungal infection. Many of us here have owned dragons for 10, 15, 20 or more years and seen 1,000's of sheds. This is not shed. Fungus affects the area so that the skin + scales slough off at times, that's why his spikes are coming off. You're doing a good job, keep it up. Can you get some unpasteurized honey ? It is a powerful antifungal /antimicrobial and can be used along with the other things. Use it every other day by itself just to see if it makes a difference. Is Yuzu eating anything ?

Thank you, I've been feeling really stressed about his conditions and just want him to get well asap :cry: Thank you for your advice! Do I just apply the honey on the entire area?

When I got him, the tank had a single dome with reptiglo all-in-one, an old wood bark as a platform, and clay / rocks as substrate. Yesterday I have everything cleaned and replaced it with new accessories. I’m also waiting for the light fixture tomorrow so I can replace the lights with reptisun 10.0. I'm not sure what to get for the basking spot though. I read any white bulb should work. Is that true?

As for his appetite, he's been eating only every other day, and only consumes either 2 baby spinach or 2 superworms :/ The superworms, I have to put on white towel otherwise he won't see them. I'm guessing the reptiglo might have caused poor eyesight :/ Not sure if I can reverse the damage. He poops everyday so I'm a bit relieved.

Despite the parenting stress this is causing me, I'm happy we found each other and I'm able to help the guy. Thanks so much for your help :D

justinewin

Original Poster
He also has the infection inside his ear. I just put the cream on the outer area. Should I try to apply it inside too?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It is so nice that you're willing to help him out with this serious situation. You're a team now and I'm really pulling for you as I'm sure anyone reading this is feeling the same. :) As for the cream, I suppose the cream can go in the ear. Honey can be applied all over , it's perfectly safe even in the eye. Must be unpasteurized to contain the healing properties. And yes, any bright light that produces heat, this is what I use for mine.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29979/full

A 4 pack from Walmart is only $5-$6. For greens try kale, mustard, collards, dandelion arugula rather than spinach. Spinach is high in oxalates that make it hard for the body to absorb calcium which of course beardies need. Most beardies like squash + some like green beans too.

justinewin

Original Poster
AHBD":3tstwb3t said:
It is so nice that you're willing to help him out with this serious situation. You're a team now and I'm really pulling for you as I'm sure anyone reading this is feeling the same. :) As for the cream, I suppose the cream can go in the ear. Honey can be applied all over , it's perfectly safe even in the eye. Must be unpasteurized to contain the healing properties. And yes, any bright light that produces heat, this is what I use for mine.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29979/full

A 4 pack from Walmart is only $5-$6. For greens try kale, mustard, collards, dandelion arugula rather than spinach. Spinach is high in oxalates that make it hard for the body to absorb calcium which of course beardies need. Most beardies like squash + some like green beans too.

Okay, thanks so much. :) I noticed some of the parts in his head are a bit loose but still quite attached. What can I expect after a week of medication? Will the infected part just fall off or do I need to pick it with a tweezer?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No, don't pick it with tweezers but dab it with paper towel every day and the loose parts should come off. Keep posting pics as often as you can. BTW it looks better already. :) It can appear on other parts of the body sometimes or re-appear in the same spot. Hoping for the best !

justinewin

Original Poster
AHBD":2u2exhnt said:
No, don't pick it with tweezers but dab it with paper towel every
92512-5075653153.jpg
day and the loose parts should come off. Keep posting pics as often as you can. BTW it looks better already. :) It can appear on other parts of the body sometimes or re-appear in the same spot. Hoping for the best !

Hi! Its been a few days now and ive been religiously giving him medication for his infection. He doesnt eat still, but he poops everyday. He also shed a bit but the big parts are still there.

His poop today had blood and i don’t know what that means :/ what can I do?

92512-5075653153.jpg
92512-4402268594.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That speck is small enough to not be of concern ATM. This can happen with any beardie, just coincidence and unless it gets worse I wouldn't worry about it. I can't remember if you've tried smoothies for him, you can blend up some of the greens I mentioned and experiment with tossing in a strawberry or a few blueberries along with a pinch of calcium supplements. Try whatever kind of insects you can get, including hornworms. Something should peak his appetite at some point. He still looks alert. Best wishes to you + your sick boy.

justinewin

Original Poster
AHBD":3abdzp1x said:
That speck is small enough to not be of concern ATM. This can happen with any beardie, just coincidence and unless it gets worse I wouldn't worry about it. I can't remember if you've tried smoothies for him, you can blend up some of the greens I mentioned and experiment with tossing in a strawberry or a few blueberries along with a pinch of calcium supplements. Try whatever kind of insects you can get, including hornworms. Something should peak his appetite at some point. He still looks alert. Best wishes to you + your sick boy.

Thank you so much ? do I have to force feed him the smoothie?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Many beardies will lap it up once you drop it on their nose with a syringe. Make a smoothie but you can also try Reptaboost. Keep offering a variety of insects like superworms + hornworms. If that doesn't work and too many days go by + he starts losing weight you can try a simple method as seen here as a last resort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYol3D3TEk4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom