Weird behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athleena

109429-2398798275.jpg
I may just be weirding out because my bearded dragon, Sir Reginald, actually belongs to my oldest daughter. She is in basic training and will be gone for 6 months so I have been left to care for Reggie. Which is his nickname...lol.
He has begun to shed and I know that brings a grayish tinge to his scales. But he has been laying in his home with both his front legs pointed behind him. He has never slept like this before. He is also not really eating which I have read is normal when yhey shed. Please any advice or assurances are much appreciated! He is about 13 months old. We are first time bearded dragon owners and I am terrified of something happening to him while my daughter is away. I would attach a picture but I am unsure how to do that.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please tell us what your using for a UVB coil or tube brand and bulb look on the bulb it will tell you -- how old is the uvb basking temps what are they and how are you taking them ? No stick ons they are inaccurate-- it is normal for them to lay off eating but he should be eating something-- what are you feeding him?
Karrie

Athleena

Original Poster
A mixture of collard greens and turnip greens. Butternut squash added in but not everyday. And live crickets. He is eating the crickets but not as many as normal. He usually eats 10 to 15 at a time. Now it is more like 5 to 6. He turns his nose up to his greens even when trying to hand feed him which he normally enjoys. His tank stays between 90 and 100 degrees on the warm side and 70 to 80 on the cool side. We use a spiral uvb bulb. His other bulb is a 100watt Reptisun UVA/ basking bulb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your using a coil UVB? Please replace it--- those are inadequate- you need a 24" fixture w/ a reflector-- and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 for a 40+ gallon tank
That is the issue- he's basically getting no UVB
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks pretty healthy in the photo. My dragon sleeps with his arms back like that quite a bit, so it isn't unusual in general. It could be a combination of shedding grumpiness and brumation behavior. I would keep track of his weight to make sure that is remaining stable, and if it is, just let him do his thing and sleep more if he wants to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom