Respitory infection. not a beardie but super urgent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
The other day i got a phone call from my friend saying that he found a super small turtle on the road that wasnt super responsive. I rode my bike over and found that he found a super young common snapper. Bc there are no rules saying that you cant keep common snappers. theres actually a catch limit on these guys of 1 per day, i assume the state doenst like em too much. I brought this little turtle home and ive been caring for him since. Ive deemed that he has a respitory infection because of the little clicks hes making. Stretches out his neck, doesnt eat and opens his mouth to breath. Ive warmed his water up and givin him a heat lamp like what i use for my dragons to make sure he doesnt get to cold. Hes just been sitting on the rock with his limbs all spread out. I realy gave gope tgat this little guy wont die. For those of you who own any turtles, am i doing everything right to help him. Also should i be trying to syringe feed him. I dont want to see this little guy go

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
107025-3797973590.jpg

Heres a pic of the little guy. Hes like the size of a half dollar.
Tell me if im doing anything wrong. Hes on the shallow side but there is also a deeper side for him to check out when he feels better. What can i do at home for him. I dont have the money for a vet and i think most vets would turn down looking at a snapping turtle because of there bad rep. Also i asked here bc this is the only forum that i can get help from that isnt dead.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
heres a website to find a vet
www.arav.org
If you need help --- I dont know a thing about turtles but someone else on here might
Karrie

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thank you. i actually started running a dehumidifier and hes looking a bit better. im planning on taking him to the vet and then to a nature center where hed live a better life than i can provide.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor little thing, I hope he makes it.
What are the temperatures you are keeping him at? A dehumidifier would probably help,
just so it doesn't get overly humid.
You could try to treat for a respiratory infection, by making a nebulizer tank & nebulizing him
with a saline solution or a colloidal silver mix to help in case he does have some type of
infection. Does he appear to have any type of injury at all?

Tracie

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
im keeping him at about 75 to 80 water temp with spots that are cooler he also has a basking spot he uses from time to time. what is a nuebilizer. he doesnt seem to have any injurys exept the bubbley mouth. he has a little whiteish patch on his belly but i read that thats where the yolk sak is. hes been eating some of the smaller nightcrawlers that are too small for my dragons to show any interest. im planing on getting some guppies for him today. and yes the dehumidifyer is probally what saved his life and is whats
keeping him alive

Jacobsherps":jazibcnd said:
im keeping him at about 75 to 80 water temp with spots that are cooler he also has a basking spot he uses from time to time. what is a nuebilizer. he doesnt seem to have any injurys exept the bubbley mouth. he has a little whiteish patch on his belly but i read that thats where the yolk sak is. hes been eating some of the smaller nightcrawlers that are too small for my dragons to show any interest. im planing on getting some guppies for him today. and yes the dehumidifyer is probally what saved his life and is whats
keeping him alive

Nebulizer is a peice of medical equipment that delivers medication to the lungs.
you can pick them up at your local pharmacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom