Bearded dragon has me worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not sure the poop looks dried out and I dont see alot of urate so he could be dehydrated -- I would either get him in a bath see if he drinks or offer him water off his nose w/ either dropping it on him or syringe feed if you do that feed slow so he does not aspirate -- feed slow let him swallow it --- what are you using for a substrate? The roaches I thought at first were like ugh no way but after I got them it was whoa these are way better than cricket--- :lol:
Karrie

Poodlin

Original Poster
Not a lot of irate because I didn’t get it in the picture. Trust me it’s there. The reason the poop is dried out is because it was in his cage for a while. He left it when I was not home and directly under the heat light. I’m using crushed walnut shells right now, but I’m changing it to carpet when the other tank gets here. She is scared to death of roaches, some bad experience from when she was younger I guess. She won’t tell me what though cause she thinks I’ll laugh at her. Lol she isn’t wrong. I still think he has worms. I have been saying it for the past week. I cant get to a vet though. 2 hours away and they are only open for emergencies,and they don’t consider worms an emergency.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get rid of the crushed walnut shells ASAP they are toxic to dragons and if ingested they could cause internal damage--- use paper towels for now-- I recommend textured NON adhesive shelf liner-- cut to tank size insects cannot get underneath- clean w/ vinegar and water 50 50 solution-
Here's a website for a vet www.arav.org
If the poop has a smell that will drive you from the room and is runny it's a sign to me the poop does not look runny but we'll formed- get your lighting corrected w/ basking temps correct get rid of the walnut shells I hope your not feeding him on those - he will start eating once the lighting is in order
Karrie

Poodlin

Original Poster
I will change the walnut shells now. Also, if the poop is stinky and runny it is a sign of what? Worms? His poop is stinky but it is not runny it is well formed. So the only way I have to worry bout worms is if his poop is runny? His poop stinks but it is not as bad to make a person leave the room. Nope he gets fed in a different tank.

Poodlin

Original Poster
The Black soldier fly larvae arrived Friday. It came in a big clear container fill with what appears to be crushed coconut husks and loose dead grass, and what smells like coffee grounds. My question is do I need to run them under water to rinse the stuff off them? Cause it is hard to get everything off the larvae. Also what is the difference between black soldier fly larvae and maggots? They look the same.
Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The BSFL are a type of fly but not a maggot- maggots are house flies - the BSFL are a bigger fly but the dragons can eat them - and yes I would wash them off --- as best as you can - where did you order from? They wont turn to flies for a few weeks depending on how old they were when shipped - you can keep them in your fridge on the door to slow that process down and take them out like 10-15 minutes before feeding - signs of parasites / worms are real runny poop the dragon isnt eating smell so bad it makes you leave the room
Karrie

Ruffus34

The Black soldier fly larvae arrived Friday. It came in a big clear container fill with what appears to be crushed coconut husks and loose dead grass, and what smells like coffee grounds. My question is do I need to run them under water to rinse the stuff off them? Cause it is hard to get everything off the larvae. Also what is the difference between black soldier fly larvae and maggots? They look the same.
Thanks

I don't think you need to run it under water.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would rinse them
Taxonomically speaking, maggots are larvae. The main difference between soldier fly larvae and maggots is that soldier fly larvae are the young of one species from the Orthorrhapha family of dipterid flies, and maggots are the young of several species from the Brachyceran family of dipterids.
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom