Poop stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mollysn28

Hi guys. So I have realized that my beardie was getting too much calcium. He's about 2 years old. For the last 2 days he's been a little lethargic, when normally he's pretty active. His basking area is about 100 degrees, and cooling area is about 80. Anyway, I noticed he hadnt pooped in a couple days, so I put him in the bath. Almost immediately he passed gas, and started pooping. He passed a big, long hard white urate, along with other poop that took a bit for him to detach it from his butt. He finally did, but then I noticed he was still straining a little, and currently there is poop stuck. He has closed the folds up of where the poop comes out, but I can see the bulge. What do I do? I tried helping him pass it by pushing on the fold a little, and also tried to get it out with a q-tip. This stressed him out too much and almost sounded like he was wheezing. As soon as I stopped messing with him he was fine and that sound stopped. I havent heard it again. Anyway, now that I am gonna hold off on the calcium for a while, until he gets back to normal, and then will give him the right amount, should I just let nature run its course and let him push this out on his own? Or should I give him a laxative?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Can you run over your tank setup just a little with us, as well as your supplementation for
him & diet?
Since he is having a hard time & seems to be straining some, this is a crucial time because
many times prolapses happen during situations such as these. So you will need to watch him
closely in case that happens, but hopefully not.
You can give some soft foods, such as squash baby food, sweet potato baby food, along with
either sugar free apple sauce or canned pumpkin, too. Mix all of that together with a drop or
two of olive or coconut oil. Please avoid mineral oil though, that really isn't good for them.
I hope that helps him out, along with some nice warm baths, combined.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom