Underbite seems to be getting more noticible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delsoto

So a few months back, before July, Ori had taken a tumble onto hardwood flooring. Almost five-foot drop to it; I was so devastated I dropped to the floor just as fast to check on him. He had took it like a champ, laying there unfazed, looking at me like I was the crazy one before running off to continue adventuring.

Reason for that story is, despite my initial checkup showing no damage, I swear he had been developing an underbite. I kept questioning, "Was it always there and I'm only noticing it because of the fall, or did he not walk away unscathed after all?"

I'm also wondering if it's signs of MBD, but that would be weird. I've always had him under proper UV as far as I'm aware. At first, a Reptisun T5 10.0 w/ reflector about 12-15 inches away, and now an Arcadia 12% w/ reflector 10-12 inches away behind mesh.

His calcium supplement intake was bad at first, in that if you check an earlier post of mine, I was over-supplementing him with it. I've since cut back to the correct amount. (He gets fed salad such as collard greens and kale in the morning, supplemented insects in the afternoon, and non-supplemented insects in the evening.)

Last guess is... that's just because of his genes... but, that underbite is getting quite more notable for it to be just him, no?

Health-wise, he acts like he does any other day. Alert, loves to bask, eats with gusto. It doesn't seem to bother him, but I'm aware they are experts at hiding their pain until it's too late.

So what could be the reason for this?! Damage from his fall? MBD? Genes? I'm at a loss.

This is a picture from July,
o6m0pMd.jpg

And this is one today.
0gsPxYl.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The screen is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed screen like a dime or similar? I would get it in the tank if its the fine mesh -- 12-15 inches for both bulbs
Karrie

Delsoto

Original Poster
It's the Zen Habitat's top, which I guess would be fine mesh. I figured with him having closer access to it via 10 inches and the Arcadia being a tiny bit stronger than the Reptisun, the supposed 30% cutoff of UV would equal out. Was the fine mesh cutting off way more UV than I read, then?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would say yes -- I have the same tank and I have my UVB in the tank-- I have two tanks and both are in the tank-- I am using the Reptisun T 5's at the moment I did have the Arcadia's but had to switch cuz when I went to change them out I could not get them they were sold out everywhere so I went to the Rep T5 - they are about 12-15 inches from basking decor directly over head
Karrie

Delsoto

Original Poster
M'kay, I'll do a rearrange of his enclosure and see if there's any changes - well, I guess mental changes at this point. If this is early MBD, I assume it's too late for his underbite to go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom