Beardie Dragging Back Legs During Shed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

colleen1999

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2eqyxk1m said:
No Enemas --https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=252267
It is best it comes out naturally --- enemas are only the last resort - 3 days is not long enough -- if the back legs gets worse we should let Tracie advise on the subject or AHBD
Karrie

Okay! So you wouldn’t recommend the vet then? At least not for awhile if there’s no improvement?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Let's see if he goes poop first- we need to let Tracie or ahbd to weigh in on timeline for vet
Karrie

colleen1999

Original Poster
Update:

Hades had applesauce, black cherry juice and a few drops of olive oil today. Gave him a warm bath and massaged his stomach but still no poop :( he still isn’t using his back legs at all.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm thinking they look a wee bit swollen. Let's see what Tracie thinks. You can keep feeding him soft food like cooked or grated squash, cooked sweet potato or baby food. Give him a little longer and he should go.

colleen1999

Original Poster
AHBD":t0rbpa8q said:
I'm thinking they look a wee bit swollen. Let's see what Tracie thinks. You can keep feeding him soft food like cooked or grated squash, cooked sweet potato or baby food. Give him a little longer and he should go.

Should I be giving him any feeders? Like small crickets? He licks some of the soft food up when it’s put on his nose but doesn’t eat much.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I think small crickets would be fine because he still needs protein and I think he will poo soon. Keep offering the soft foods, whatever he'll eat. Give a daily warm soak for about 10 minutes, make it warmer than usual and a little deeper .

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is still dragging his back legs or wont use them? There is nothing that would have
impacted him except for the one insect you mentioned? Keep giving the softer foods,
for now to see if that helps out.
Your UVB placement & brand is fine, at 6 or so inches from him. How often are you
giving calcium & are you using plain calcium or calcium with D3?
I do think that there is swelling which is probably going to be gout related. Have you
started him on the black or tart cherry extract?
The cricket gel cubes, can you get the ingredients for me?

Tracie

colleen1999

Original Poster
AHBD":69h7uw2e said:
I think small crickets would be fine because he still needs protein and I think he will poo soon. Keep offering the soft foods, whatever he'll eat. Give a daily warm soak for about 10 minutes, make it warmer than usual and a little deeper .

He had a few small crickets last night and was still really enthusiastic about eating. Hoping for a poo soon.

colleen1999

Original Poster
Drache613":1mdbtd44 said:
Hello,

He is still dragging his back legs or wont use them? There is nothing that would have
impacted him except for the one insect you mentioned? Keep giving the softer foods,
for now to see if that helps out.
Your UVB placement & brand is fine, at 6 or so inches from him. How often are you
giving calcium & are you using plain calcium or calcium with D3?
I do think that there is swelling which is probably going to be gout related. Have you
started him on the black or tart cherry extract?
The cricket gel cubes, can you get the ingredients for me?

Tracie

He is still dragging his back legs. He had a few mealworms the other day because he likes them as treats. I know they’re not supposed to be fed as a staple, but if they’re rarely fed could they still cause impaction?

The brand of calcium is Repti Calcium. It says that it contains D3. I give it to him once a day usually. The cricket cubes are Flucker’s Orange Cubes.
Ingredients: water, carageenan, soy protein, dried brewer’s yeast, dried kelp, calcium carbonate, potassium sorbate, ascorbic acid, citric acid and yellow #6 food colour. I have started him on the pure black cherry juice. He likes it and drinks it if I put some on his nose with a syringe.

colleen1999

Original Poster
Update: Still no poop and he seems to be hanging out on the bottom of his cage now. When should I opt for the vet?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am thinking it would be a good idea to take him in, since he is having trouble with some
swelling of the limbs now. He is probably developing gout, unfortunately.
The reptical has D3, ok. How often are you giving that?
I would discontinue using the flukers orange cubes for a couple of reasons. They contain
calcium, yellow #6 food color (petroleum based) & soy protein which is guaranteed to be
genetically modified which wreaks havoc on the kidneys & liver. Just use a large sponge
& keep it wet/moist to water your crickets, or layers of paper towels, etc. You can also look
into a cricket watering system with a sponge donut which fits around it inside the water ring
reservoir to keep them from drowning.
Many times, too much supplementation & preservatives from commercialized foods are hard
on them & can be harmful to their health, just like in humans.
That is great you were able to get some black cherry juice & that he likes it. You can give
,5ml to 1ml daily, either straight or diluted with water.
Do you have a vet you can get him to?

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with Tracie 100%, I never use the cricket quencher, a large slice of potato, sweet potato or carrot will do. Also a wadded up paper towel that has been wetted down placed in a plastic lid from a jar for hydration. Replace the paper towel every few days as it gets soiled. Avoid the sponge, the crickets will poop all over it and females will lay eggs in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom