Brumation check?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
My first beardie just turned a year old a couple of months ago, and now it seems like its time for brumation. I have never really dealt with this before, but I have done a TON of research on this. I am 99.9% sure his recent behaviors are just because of the brumation season, but I wanted to check to see if I'm missing anything. Definitely don't want to end up hurting him by being ignorant.
He's showing all of the basic signs of brumation. He refuses food (maybe will eat a worm or two; no veggies though...), he seems to be tired all of the time. He's always trying to sleep during the day, but he's alert if someone opens his tank; not lethargic. He just doesn't look like himself. He always looks exhausted and he just looks really weak and tired. I've read that many of them look like this, but just thought I should mention it. He hasn't lost weight. He's maintained a healthy weight and his fat pads seem to be healthy as well.
I'm going to perform a fecal analysis to make sure everything's fine there, especially if he is preparing to brumate. I know that no two beardies are alike when it comes to brumation, and the only way to really prepare is to observe and to make sure everything is under control. Just wanted to check up on it. I think this was instinctual, since I haven't change anything about his husbandry or his temps/light timers.

Husbandry:
50 G viv
t5 HO uvb tube (10.0)
basking temps 95 F; cool side about 80 F
still offered wide variety of veggies, but he rarely eats them (offered kale, endive, escarole, mustard/collard/turnip greens, bell peppers occasionally, etc.)
fed mixture of BSFL and dubias, though not eating more than a few worms or one roach right now
kept constant weight of 550g, fat pads seem healthy
looks healthy, no dark colors and seems "happy" and not stressed; just seems exhausted

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your T 5 where in the tank is it ? Top of screen or inside the tank ?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
And your screen is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed like a dime or simlar to?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If its a fine mesh get it inside the tank -- distance should be 12-15 inches directly above basking decor -- the screen is blocking approx 30% of the rays -- change it out and watch her behavior - if it doesnt change it could be brumation
Karrie

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, I had it mounted where you would like me to, and it was hurting his eyes really bad, and he stopped basking. I was told to mount it where it is now to help with that. Should I try mounting it inside his tank again? I was also told that t5s need to be outside of the tank, while t8s are inside. For this reason, I use the t5s. I’ve never had a problem with this before, either. This is a newly replaced bulb, so it couldn’t be old. Not trying to sound super critical of your help, or anything. I really appreciate this, I’m just trying to understand!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Did you have it above him or on back wall? Above him should not have been bothering his eyes- if it was on back wall and beside him then yes--
Karrie

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It was above him. He wouldn’t open his eyes, so someone suggested moving it farther from him. I now have it above his screen, and he seems to be comfortable with that. Stopped stressing and closing his eyes as soon as I moved it, and came out of hiding all of the time

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok just make sure your distance is 8-10 inches-- hope that works then-- if he's eating and basking you should be good
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom