Odd brumation...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey y’all. It’s been some time. I originally came here today to share a tale about my 5 year old rescue beardie girl, Triss, but I decided to ask about something that’s been worrying me a little.
She seems to have been brumating on and off lately and I think she’s finally hit deep brumation. She showed signs in early August during a couple weeks of abnormal cloudiness, but once I took her out for sun again she seemed to stop. Now it’s September, and I tried to keep her from going back in by taking her outside longer (I’ve only seen her come out of it once in her previous ownership, and I’m surprised she made it with the neglect she faced) because I was nervous, more so because she just finished some meds for bone weakness in her leg brought on by her rapid growth, but she seemed intent, so I let her be. I offer her food maybe 3-4 times a week because she just reached a healthy weight two months ago, she’ll occasionally show interest in eating but hasn’t for a few days now. I’ve been bathing her once every 7-10 days so she hydrates and/or poops. I could not provide her with a bigger tank than her 20 gal because I still live with family, but she is normally out for around 7 hours a day playing or cuddling and getting natural sunlight in some way til she tires; I intend to enlarge her space as soon as my circumstances change, but as of now her temps are 80 for cool during the day, 90 for warm with a basking spot of 95, and 75-85 at night; during warm seasons she goes outside in 100+ for about 40 mins. She has also been quite grumpy and averse to handling, instead of her normal cuddly self, but I expected that even though I miss her sitting in my lap. She spends most of the day in her warm hide, staying still, and after bathing she’ll start looking for a place to burrow and sleep. Though I’m worried, she seems comfortable and healthy. Only thing puzzling me is that she comes out of her warm hide at night, usually when her UVB goes off, to crawl around and lay next to it, and eventually falls back asleep. I’m under the impression she does this just to stretch, and therefore haven’t disturbed or fed her at that time so as not to mess up her routine; normally she’ll go back into her hide by midday. Does all this sound normal? Should she be sticking to her warm hide instead of her cool one? Can her waking up at night be accredited to just stretching? I’m anxious for her to come out in the next couple months. She’s my baby, and I want to be sure she wants for nothing I can give.
Thanks in advance!

Hi There!
I am no expert; my Gryphon will be 2 yrs old in Dec. but he is showing signs of light brumation. As long as Triss is eating I think you should keep doing what your doing....bathing, outside for sunshine, feeding, etc.... My herp. vet told me to give my dragon choices. They know what is best for them. It sounds like you have good temp. range and a cozy hideaway in the cool part of tank. I offer Gryph greens and dubias everyday. Somedays he eats. Sometimes not. I take him out everyday for sun, basking on window sill or bath. Triss seems to like her warm hide during the day but maybe she wants to be a little bit cooler at night so she feels more comfortable crawling out beside it. Like I said, I'm no expert but it sounds like you're doing the right thing. BTW my herp vet has a a beardie in his office named Spike. Spike just turned 27 years old in August. That's why I trust this vet!

RexysRaptor

Original Poster
Bobolynx1226":q0hpklvt said:
Hi There!
I am no expert; my Gryphon will be 2 yrs old in Dec. but he is showing signs of light brumation. As long as Triss is eating I think you should keep doing what your doing....bathing, outside for sunshine, feeding, etc.... My herp. vet told me to give my dragon choices. They know what is best for them. It sounds like you have good temp. range and a cozy hideaway in the cool part of tank. I offer Gryph greens and dubias everyday. Somedays he eats. Sometimes not. I take him out everyday for sun, basking on window sill or bath. Triss seems to like her warm hide during the day but maybe she wants to be a little bit cooler at night so she feels more comfortable crawling out beside it. Like I said, I'm no expert but it sounds like you're doing the right thing. BTW my herp vet has a a beardie in his office named Spike. Spike just turned 27 years old in August. That's why I trust this vet!

Thanks! I didn’t consider that for why she might be coming out, but it definitely makes sense. I’ll try and vary what I offer her every other day and take her out more as soon as the skies clear. Wishing Gryphon the best of health! And wow, that is one old beardie your vet has; I’d trust him too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom