Looking for some new advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Good for you, coming here to get the right advice on caring for your beloved dragon. It’s clear that you really care and want him to have the best life possible. Listen to Karrie and the other veteran posters here- they will get you all set up with what you need to have and do. Don’t beat yourself up over past mistakes- you were doing the best you could, and now you know better. Hang in there!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok you want to replace the fixture-- all together -- get this for a 40+ gallon tank a 24" fixture w/ reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb- you can look at your local petstores or order from here these people are fast and good they ship fed ex shipping is $7- www.pangeareptiles.com - look under fixtures they have one for $32 do not use the bulb that comes w/ that one it is not for reptiles- or you can get the the zoomed 24" it will take a 22" bulb--- look under T 5 bulbs--- but you need to get this ASAP- this T 5 can sit on top of the tank you just need your basking decor 8-10 inches directly underneath
Karrie

DragonCompanion21

Original Poster
Just to clarify, I only use the hood for half of the tank which is situated on the cooler side. I use a separate fixture for the other half.

Would using this hood with something like the reptisun UVB 26w 10.0 tube work if used with a second UVB bulb? I am limited by my parents when it comes to changing the fixtures, but I want to make sure the setup is as good as possible and they are more likely to change a bulb/tube.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
26 watt is a coil --- it would need to go into a dome w/a reflector and be unobstructed 6-8 inches from the basking spot -- the hood is long fixture w/ a tube --- it has better UVB for output --- its lets say even --- for the health of the dragon I would get rid of the coil all together --- I am posting info on the UVB's
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
Info on the 26 watt
The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.
You decide on what you want to do --

DragonCompanion21

Original Poster
Recently, I've noticed that he doesn't go into his hotter basking spot very much and stays more towards the cooler side. I thought he would like the warmth more, but is something wrong or is he simply adjusting?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If the coil is over that basking spot that is a good cause for the behavior -- I would get the UVB changed out ASAP -- at this point if the tank is 40 gallon or bigger hes getting NO UVB ---
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
It could be what Karrie said...
Or, If you haven't yet been able to get a thermometer, it's possible that the basking spot is too hot.

DragonCompanion21

Original Poster
I think he's all good now. Changed his temperatures a little and gave him a better covered/shelter area. He now goes onto his basking area on his own. Seems more energetic as well. Thanks for all of the tips

DragonCompanion21

Original Poster
Unfortunately, he has gone back to his old ways and stopped basking a couple of weeks ago. Since then, I installed the reptisun 10.0 (inside the tank), and it is around 11" away from his basking spot. He has another spot to get within 7" of the light if he wishes to do so. I have reduced his basking temperature to 97 degrees (Fahrenheit), but he still prefers to hide and sleep a lot. What else could I do to encourage basking?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Did you put it inside the tank ? T 8's need to be inside they are not strong enough to go thru the screen and the screen is cutting out 30% of the rays
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom