external heat / light setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RastaDragon

hi everyone,

my little man spends a lot of time out of his house - since i am not working at the moment (and havnt been all year thanks to covid) we spend pretty much all day together.

as long as i am there, his front door to his viv is left open and he can come and go as he pleases with free run of the lounge, hallway and bedroom.

i LOVE having this time to spend with him, and love that he has the confidence to happily explore (i can put him anywhere in the flat, and he knows how to get home which constantly amazes me) but at the same time i do worry that perhaps he should spend more time basking.

so my idea is to set up an external heat / light source in the house so he can sit there for a while rather than having to climb back up to his house.

i was considering an MVB in a dome hanging from a free standing lamp stand set up over a blanket and basking rock.

does anyone have any suggestions or advice for such a thing?

thank you
blessings & love
RD

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have several basking spots set up around the house. My guy rotates between them and knows where to go to warm up. It's fun to have them roaming freely as long as it's safe to do so. I have two fixtures that are just halogen lamps for heat, which are the most popular. And two MVBs which are used sometimes, and a dog bed in the window sill. If you hang the light from an adjustable lamp stand it works well. This also works well for travel setups.

76248-5659197629.jpg

RastaDragon

Original Poster
yes - that is EXACTLY what i had in mind!

thank you so much for replying, it has really inspired me to continue with this project!

edit: actually can i just ask - what power MVB have you used in such a set up? i was going to get a 100w but based on nothing more than guesswork.

thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom