5 month old beardie sunken eyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambi

108957-5239510061.jpg
So my beardie has been a bit off lately. Not eating a ton of roaches but he’s been eating his greens mostly. He’s peeing and pooping daily as well. So I assumed maybe he’d shedding or maybe he’s a bit off because we brought home an older beardie a few days ago (separate enclosures). But today I was giving him a bath and I noticed his eyes look more droopy than I’ve noticed before. Maybe I’m just overly nervous but I’m worried. His enclosure has a 150w basking lamp, temps are between 100-115 during the day, cool side 80-85. The UVB is a T8 hood lamp. He normally eats dubia roaches and the occasional super worm. Like I said, he’s peeing and pooping like normal. I’m just worried because his eyes don’t looks so great.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The T 8 is inside the tank w/ no plastic cover over the bulb and basking decor is approx 6-8 inches?
Not sure about the eye part they look ok to me but we need someone on here w/ more experience w/ what they are looking at
Karrie

bambi

Original Poster
Yep no cover, both lightings are positioned in the correct distance. I’m hoping he maybe is just stressed by seeing the new beardie. I have no introduced them because she’s so much larger, but when he sees her out of her tank he waves non stop at her, and she does bob her head at him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok they should not see each other - her bobbing is showing dominance and him waving is showing submission -- they should never be put together either - you never know what they are going to do - one could attack the other on a moments notice - lets see what AHBD says about the eye I wonder if its gonna shed I really cant tell
Karrie

bambi

Original Poster
Nope, they’re not together ever. But her tank is below his on a big reptile shelf. So when I take her out he can see her for a moment but he’s still in his tank. He is shedding on his face a little.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

As far as I can see, the eyes look good. Do you think he is dehydrated at all?
Does he excrete a good amount of urates?
I would however, lower his basking temperatures. They should only be in the range of
95-110 max with a cooler end of around 78-82. What type of thermometer are you using
to measure the temperatures?

Tracie

bambi

Original Poster
Lowering the temps today when I turn his light on! I’m going to switch from the 150w to my spare 100w. I use a hydrometer/thermometer combo and then I have an infrared thermometer gun to get a correct reading of his basking spot and cool side. He urates every time he poops. I’m also having trouble keeping the humidity at a good percent. During the day it’s about 20-25% which I know isn’t too far off from 30%
I was told one hornworm a week helps with hydrating them. Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom