Temp Check for 4x2x2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I just upped Figment's basking lamp to a 150w bulb. I put a perfectly good piece of wood-shaped resin under it, but came home to find him on the floor where he prefers to bask. He hasn't used a branch for basking since he was a baby, though I do try to provide him with a range of places to bask other than the floor.

Anyhoo, the temps I'd like to check are these:

Basking spot, directly under bulb, measured via temp gun - 97.7f
Ambient Temp, close to the basking spot, measured via Accurite thermometer/ hygrometer - 88f
Cool Side Ambient Temp, same device - 75f

The humidity is different on the warm and cool sides of the tank... don't know if this is odd, or if it means that the device is off-kilter, or if it's normal. 35% cool side, 26% warm side.

Do these sound like reasonable numbers? They check out based on the care sheets I've read, but I wanted opinions from the veteran dragon keepers. :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would move that hygrometer to the center back middle wall --- the room Figment is in is it a warm room cool room? Temps in the room are going to play a part - I had my office room door closed not latched but closed and that room got warm today we were in the low 80's so the tanks heated up pretty good when I open that door the tanks do not heat up they stay like they should the temps-- they have 150 watt bulbs now I did have them w/ 100 watt this past summer -- did you get a temp w/ your probe? I would get one and see if the gun and the probe are jiving--- is Figment pooping like he should? Is the poop formed runny? It appears he likes cooler temps for basking but hes got to have it warm enough for the digestion process to happen
Karrie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1ocx3nlp said:
I would move that hygrometer to the center back middle wall --- the room Figment is in is it a warm room cool room? Temps in the room are going to play a part - I had my office room door closed not latched but closed and that room got warm today we were in the low 80's so the tanks heated up pretty good when I open that door the tanks do not heat up they stay like they should the temps-- they have 150 watt bulbs now I did have them w/ 100 watt this past summer -- did you get a temp w/ your probe? I would get one and see if the gun and the probe are jiving--- is Figment pooping like he should? Is the poop formed runny? It appears he likes cooler temps for basking but hes got to have it warm enough for the digestion process to happen

Hi there... The room is between 70 and 73.9, depending on which of my probe thermometers I should believe. :roll: No, I didn't use a probe temp in the new hab - I thought the new temp/humidity devices would be just as good? No? I'll check the probe vs the temp gun, but have never had luck with them aligning. But then, this is a new temp gun, so maybe it will.

Figment has started only pooping every couple of days... this has been for a while now, long before he got his new tank and setup. It's the standard "pile o' poo" and a bit runny, but the vet said he was just fine when I boarded him with her in August. I've been wondering about that heat/digestion thing for a while, actually...

Popping in the probes now.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Double check that basking surface with your probe thermometer. Your IR gun is likely not measuring the resin surface properly.

-Brandon

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Reading the floor, covered with newspaper, just now...

Temp gun 96.3
Probe 97.7

Moved the resin branch; he doesn’t seem to like it.

Edit- probe temp still rising; now it’s 99.5 and the temp gun reads 96.6. :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Can you post a pic of your tank--- I think temp is fine - it's w/ in specs- maybe he doesn't like heights-
Karrie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2xuphmdc said:
Can you post a pic of your tank--- I think temp is fine - it's w/ in specs- maybe he doesn't like heights-

Will do tomorrow; lights just went out here... and I’m zonked, too.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The Resin material likely is an emissivity that is outside of your guns calibration. That's why I recommend probes over ir guns.

Leave your probe directly on the basking site for 10-15 minutes and see what it reads tomorrow. I'd guess it was just too hot, and your temp gun was giving you a false reading. 150w is a lot. I'm using 40w in my 4x2x2. But like we know, all of our setups are all different :)

-Brandon

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":21nhhhcz said:
The Resin material likely is an emissivity that is outside of your guns calibration. That's why I recommend probes over ir guns.

Leave your probe directly on the basking site for 10-15 minutes and see what it reads tomorrow. I'd guess it was just too hot, and your temp gun was giving you a false reading. 150w is a lot. I'm using 40w in my 4x2x2. But like we know, all of our setups are all different :)

Figment keeps bumping my probe around; that's the main issue I have with them. Wow, though - only a 40w?!? I don't think I could have gotten my 40BR in the zone much below a 100w!

Checking temps again now. IR gun says 101.5; probe is still making up its mind. Posting pics in a few.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Okay, so my probe says the basking spot temp is 104.7f - definitely higher than the IR gun says. Maybe the paper is throwing off the gun?

At any rate, here is the pic of the hab and one of the placement of the lights, too.

full

full

I put the UV strip closer to the front of the hab so I could put the basking branches under the dome in the basking spot, but since he doesn't use them, I put up his hammock instead, but I may move that, too. All can be moved... just advise me.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
There need to be a piece of decor under the UVB --- your using the Arcadia 14% ? If so I would get a piece of decor approx 17-18 inches under it -- do you have a hygrometer?
Karrie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":l7x58w69 said:
There need to be a piece of decor under the UVB --- your using the Arcadia 14% ? If so I would get a piece of decor approx 17-18 inches under it -- do you have a hygrometer?

Yes, I've got the 14%. I'll see what I can do about getting something 6-7" tall under there. Not sure what I'll find, or if he'll use it... he really doesn't climb things other than his hammock. Maybe a half log would work?

And yes, I've got a thermometer/ hygrometer combo. Humidity has been around 45% or so.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well, after monitoring temps for a few days, I switched out the 150w for a 100w. With the 150w, floor basking temp was hitting 105-106F, which is at the upper level of what most care sheets recommend for adults. With the 100w, floor basking temp is 93.4F - a tad low for my preference.

I've ordered a new branch for the hab, hoping it will help him get up towards warmer temps. If, that is, he uses it... he seems to prefer the floor for basking.

Still experimenting.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So he normally basks on the floor? What temp does he prefer on the floor? Thats what you should aim at for your basking site so he climbs up to bask and gets closer to the UV.

- Brandon

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":22his1h7 said:
So he normally basks on the floor? What temp does he prefer on the floor? Thats what you should aim at for your basking site so he climbs up to bask and gets closer to the UV.

Yes, he’s usually a flat on the floor basker. But - that could be because he outgrew his original branch, and I’m only just getting around to replacing it. He’s been using the resin branch that I put under his UV area lately, but I haven’t tried it under the basking spot... his UV is a bit apart from his basking spot due to some difficulties in mounting it inside the tank.

Temp wise... He seems to like things in the mid- to upper 90’s or even the low 100s. I don’t want him TOO close to the UV, though, because I’ve got a 14% T5. The branch I ordered blind is on its way; we’ll see how he likes it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom