Did I over feed baby Beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunDragon

This was our first day with our 4 week old. The breeder said to feed twice a day. AM with crickets and PM salad. I couldn’t get a hold of him on how many to feed it. So I remembered something like as many as they want in 10-15 min. So we counted 19 in the bag, dusted them and put them in. The little guy ate them all and seemed interested in more. So we put a second bag of around 10 maybe in and he ate them all up. So we gave him more with maybe 15 (guesstimate). He ate them all so quick I couldn’t believe how they disappeared like nothing. Oh these are 1/8 crickets I believe. The breeder finally gets back to me and says yes, as many as he wants in 5-10min but no more than 20. And so now I am thinking did I completely over feed this guy??? Will it cause problems??? Can he die from that?

And then my other thought was a baby should have more protein per day than 20 slightly larger than pinhead crickets a day And a salad. Of course I think I should have spread out the 50 or so crickets I gave him over more feedings/day. I am just getting confused. Any help would be great.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

They really can pack away quiet a bit of bugs. If he's still wanting to eat, I'd let him. You are likely just using smaller sized crickets than the breeder is thinking. If the insect is small, they will obviously eat a larger quantity of them :)

As long your temps are proper, he will digest his meal just fine.

-Brandon

SunDragon

Original Poster
Thank you so much! Yes, all my temps and lightning are good.

I sent a photo of my crickets to the breeder and he said those are very close to the size he uses.

Do you think doing only 20/day is enough for a growing 4 week old?

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
With baby beardies it is really tough to over feed them because they have a really high metabolism. One time when my beardie was younger she grew an inch over a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom