Good SLOW food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsNoggin

Hi, just wondering what the best SLOW foods are for a half blind, slightly rickety beardo. She prefers to be handfed EVERYTHING because she just misses all the time and gets fed up and gives up. So nothing too fast, she hadn't eaten bugs for months when I got her bc she was left to hunt them and just couldn't see to get them.

Right now we're on morio (super) worms, wax worms to fatten her up and gut loaded locusts (because I can hold them still and catch them easily when they get away from her). Is that a nutritious enough bug diet? Crickets would be a no no, and dubia roaches possibly questionable, though I've ordered those to try her with because if I flip em over they'll stay still enough. Previous dragon ate mostly roaches.

Not concerned about her veg diet, she's fine with greens and veg and fruit if I poke her in the face... I mean gently and carefully handfeed her with them. I just need to know she's getting good stuff.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Too many wax worms will cause liver issues -- please get her some silk worms -- they are really slow and a good staple feeder -- disable the crickets so the cant move take the back legs off of them same w/ the roaches
here are some websites to get silk worms but please NO more feeding wax worms as a staple
www/reptilianarts.com good silk worms the cupped come w/ food they are out of bulk now and come small and NO food
www.coastalsilkworms.com east coast and west coast they come w/ food
www.mulberryfarms.com they have butter worms which are good and slow spendy on shipping tho
www.aafeeder.com/feeder-worms/superworms/ they have different worms and new one I just found called a lesser worm -
Try those websites and see what you find but she should be able to eat those silk worms - I would lay it down in front of her and the movement should catch her eye is she totally blind or partial ?
You dont want to fatten her up you want a good balanced diet she will gain weight I would get her some horn worms as well - they are a hydrating worm and they grow really fast so get them as small as you can find - mulberry has them but I dont know the size they are sending out -- you would need to check -- between the super / silk / butter / meal worms try those as well and her salads that would be a good balanced diet --
Karrie

MrsNoggin

Original Poster
Thank you. Don't fret, wax worms are not a staple, they are the weekend treat after a bath and weigh in. Or when she has struggled too much to catch things and given up and it becomes a reward for trying ?. And we're only talking a couple or three.

We're in the UK, so silk worms are hard to get and horn worms are... illegal. I'll try the roaches and see how that goes.

She's blind on one side, and also seems to have no depth perception at all so catching things is HARD. She's getting used to hand and tong feeding now though, so she's putting some weight on.

Thank you for all your help, I'm not arguing, I swear ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No they are a good worm for older adults -- not so much babies but alot on here feed meal worms - they can be used as treats not so much as a staple feeder -
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
BSFL are a good staple worm and can be used as a salad topper --- they re small so you would need to get large and do not dust them -- good calcium enriched worm they are slow also known as calci worms phoenix worms and nutri grubs
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom