Baby Beardie Basking issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunDragon

Hello,
We just got our baby today and I told Breeder I wanted to wait til 6 weeks old. So we set the date for pick up today. I find out it’s only 4 weeks old. How high should it’s basking area be from the floor? Right now, looking at this guy, I don’t think he can climb to where I have it. I don’t want to cause undue stress but I really think I should lower it so he can get to the heat. I have a digital thermometer with probe already in there. I have some photos of enclosure, basking area and baby that I will post.
109342-4816006473.jpg
109342-2246399680.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Cute little guy! They are pretty good climbers, so I'd leave it be for a couple of days and just watch him a lot to see how he reacts. If he still doesn't climb the log, try rearranging it by taking the hammock out, set the basking spot as the top of one of the flat stones, and lower the angle of the log a bit. You'll need to re-read the surface temps and adjust your lights accordingly.

SunDragon

Original Poster
Thanks! Will it be a problem if he goes the rest of the day without being able to get to the hotter area even after he eats? My 100w basking bulb is almost on the mesh and I’m only getting 105, should I upgrade to a 150 w?

He is cute! :) Thanks!
109342-7266234807.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He'll be OK while you get everything dialed in. 105 is a good basking temps. You'll also want some areas around that in the 90s and a gradient down to the 75-85 range away from the basking and UVB Lights. They're good about moving around to get what they need at a given time as long as they have options.

SunDragon

Original Poster
Ok great thanks. Yes I have a temperature gradient from the basking area and down and from the basking area to the cool side of the tank where the food/water is located. I’m glad that he already ate a little and crawled in the water bowl.

Thank you again! I am terribly nervous about messing up and him getting sick. Thank you so much for your help CooperDragon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom