What’s wrong with my beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason10881

109372-7393869245.jpg
109372-3623694903.jpg
109372-7482642112.jpg
Hi, earlier this year in May i purchased my bearded dragon Marley from Petsmart I know not the place I should of went, he was a small bearded dragon not sure exactly how old but looked to be 1-2 months old. Since I got him he grew a lot and is a nice size but I’ve been noticing him struggling to walk and when he sits or lays sometimes his legs are in awkward positions. Since I got him I’ve fed him a diet of dubia roaches, Phoenix worms, and not until recently hornworms occasionally. I stopped with the Phoenix worms about a month ago because I felt like they were to small for him and he would have to eat so many at a time. During the time he was given the Phoenix worms I wasn’t supplementing calcium on his food because I was told the Phoenix worms have enough calcium if their fed regularly. After I stopped the Phoenix worms I started dusting his Dubai’s and fruit in repti calcium . I have him in a 40 gallon tank with his basking bulb out of the tank, but his uvb strip light in side I will provide pictures of the tank and bulbs. He eats regularly and has a huge appetite, poops regularly and seemed to be happy at least I hope so but now idk if it’s his legs are weak or he’s to big, or if it’s metabolic bone disease and I’m concerned, thank you.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, Marley is a good looking dragon and your set up looks good as well. One thing that needs changed is that the uvb should be mounted above him , not too the side. The uvb doesn't really go out sideways but should project downward to his basking area. Find some wire to loop through your screen so it's attached from above. Another thing, beardies still need calcium a few times a week with calci or Phoenix worms no matter what you've heard. Calcium with D3 at least 2-4 X a week for growing babies , 1-2 X a week for adults. Hopefully that will help him out. If it's sunny + where you live you can take him out to sit in the grass with you for a big boost of uvb + D3.

Jason10881

Original Poster
Hi, thanks for the response so I’m going move the uvb light to above his basking area, and give him some more vitamins and calcium. Is this reversible I’d really hate to see him like this forever.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K., good to put the uvb ahead and have a reflector behind it, even a sheet of folded aluminum foil. MBD can be halted and reversed to a degree [ mobility can improve ] but time will tell. It may take a while to see improvement but it should almost definitely help him to do better.

Jason10881

Original Poster
Ok thank you so much I moved the uvb and put aluminum foil to act as a reflector, hopefully we will see improvements!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom