Scratching glass at bedtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

RM10

Beardie name(s)
Coco
I would be grateful for any advice on how to deal with our 9 month old Bearded Dragon Who repeatedly scratches the glass at bed time. He keeps standing on his back legs with tummy pressed against the glass and scratches frantically. Then he runs from one end to the other and repeats the scratching (he hardly moves during the day yet at night has this energy).

This can go on for 30 mins at bedtime. He has been doing this for a week now. Previously, he was so good and when lights went out he would scratch the floor for 5-10 seconds put his head down and be asleep within 1-2 minutes.... why is he doing this now? We switch the enclosure lights of as usual. The room is dark. If you have any tips/explanation, we would be most grateful. Many thanks in advance.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using for a UVB details please NO coils where in the tank? Are you using any colored bulbs? What are the basking temps and how are you taking them? No stick ons
Karrie

RM10

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Coco
Hi Karrie, thanks for replying. We use a UVB tube attached to the inner top of the enclosure. Not using coloured bulbs, we are using a basking lamp too. Temperatures are 37c warm end and 29/30 cool end. It has been warm here in the UK, wonder if we should cool his enclosure down before bedtime?

RM10

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Coco
Re temperature, we have two thermometers. Warm side contains a thermometer attached to a temperature controller. The cool side is a moveable thermometer (not stick on type)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The temps seem to be ok then -- the UVB what brand and bulb-- and the distance from basking decor?
Karrie

LeoA

I'm in the UK too. It's been hot, but that should only affect their temps by a few degrees at most. (23c outside today for reference)

Have you tried taking him out for a while / seeing how he behaves out of the enclosure when he does the scratching? It could be that he wants some human attention.

Where does he usually sleep inside of his enclosure?

RM10

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Coco
Thank you Karrie and Leo. Not sure of make of UVB, it was recommended by the store who sold the enclosure. We have had it since April/May so may be its time to replace it.Coco,our bearded dragon is fine during the day. He is lying chilled on his rock now.

We have recently started to take him out of the enclosure in the evening and may be he just wants to stay out! The other night he scratched on and off (so I suspect he dropped off and then woke up) from 10.00pm to 1.30am. On average its been around 30 minutes scratching every night. I didn’t take him out because i fear he will get into a bad habit knowing every time he scratches he can come out. I do check on him and he appears fine other than the scratching.

Coco, sleeps in different locations around the enclosure with no favourite spot. Although coincidentally with the scratching over the last week, he has generally been sleeping upright either against the glass or up against the wooden side standing on a rock.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please look on the bulb itself it will tell you what it is -- the scratching may or may not be UVB involved but I want to rule it out as the bulbs have certain distances they need to be
Karrie

RM10

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Coco
I have checked we have the following:

Arcadia 34" Pro T5 UVB Kit, 12% UV Lamp, 39w

RM10

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Coco
Coco has started shedding his tummy and back today. Could this be the reason for his restless behaviour at night time? Last night he spent three hours again either running across one end of the glass to the other or scratching. I have sprayed the inside of the enclosure tonight in the hope that helps him.

RM10

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Coco
Yes its about 14 inches away. Do you think its the large shedding area which is making Coco restless?

rita1

hello we have the same with are bd, he scratches when he want something, either some more live food, water as we drip feed water to him when he asks or time out. we are getting use to the signals on what he wants. when are start shedding we give him a bath to help.
hope you will get to the bottom of this. I don’t like to see them glass surfing.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Shedding will not make them restless at nite -- it will make them grouchy but not restless --what is the temps in the tank at nite? - temps in the tank at nite should be 65-75 -- a stick on is ok for ambient temps -- basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer ---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom