Help my baby breaded dragon is on the cold side alot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjuniel

Hi this is my first dragon and he is a baby a few weeks old. And was doing just fine and is still mostly fine. It’s just that he spends a lot of time on the cold side like more then normal and as a new owner I follow all the rules but I’m trying to do my absolute best to make sure he has a happy and safe like so I think worry about everything lol.. He is in a 40 gal breeder on paper towel and has a uva and UCB strip light in there and the basking spot is around 105-109 at all times. He is usually super active and still sometimes is. I just feel like he is just sitting on the cold side corner looking and the corner laying flat on his belly. I don’t know if this is something I should worry about or if it’s normal. Cause I would appreciate any input you guys could give.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is he eating? The UVB is a strip light please tell me what brand and bulb and how far from the basking area? He should not be sitting on the cold side of the tank so something is off w/ the lighting -- how are you taking basking temps? NO stick ons you need a digital probe thermometer
Karrie

jjuniel

Original Poster
He is eating like 10-20 Small Dubas a day. Should he be eating more? It is Zilla T8 16 watt Blub and it's in the middle of the tank on top of the net top. And I have a heat gun that way I can get a completely accurate temp. And I have a thermostat and the heat lamp with a probe on it. But regularly check it with the gun anyway. Its a 100 watt heat blub I'm thinking of changing it to a 75 watt blud you think that would be better for a 40 breader.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the T 8 needs to go inside the tank - they are not strong enough to go thru the screen and its blocking 30% of the rays --- make sure the clear plastic cover is off the fixture - I want you to replace the Zilla bulb w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 -- its a way better bulb --- you need to have 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece --- you can hang w/ these 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- shoe laces --- potted plant wire hangers
Get your UVB situated and watch his behavior -- hes eating good now he will eat more -- you need to e offering salads every morning -- here is a nutrition website ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
I want you to order some BSFL unless you can find them in your pet stores but I would get them on line they are also known as calci worms phoenix worms and nutri grubs
Here is some website for insects/ worms
www.reptilianarts.com good small silk worms when in stock if you ever order from here and you order bulk like 50 make sure you get food to feed and clean containers out daily
www.coastalsolkworms.com two places they come from east and west coast they come w/ food and are a great staple feeder
www.dubiaroaches.com great roaches and horn worms order medium they will come small and order small amounts they grow really fast
http://www.symtonbsf.com/
www.aafeeder.com/feeder-worms/superworms/ order some small super worms they have a dragon bundle --- you might want to check that out ---
www.mulberryfarms.com good silk worms when in stock -- they have butter worms and the only place that has them -- good worm to add on top of the salads like the supers 1-3 along w/ the lesser worms - 1-3 -
Get your UVB straightened out let me know how hes doing in a day or two after you get if fixed
Karrie

jjuniel

Original Poster
I will definitely remove the cover and move it right now. Thanks for that. Im definitely giving him salad every morning. So are you saying to use the cali worms as the staple instead of dubia. Cause I'm willing to try if it's better and I understand the rest are to lure it to the salad bowl.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Use both-- put the BSFL on top of his salads let him see you do this it will get his attention- you can feed the dubias in the bowl like an hr later -
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom