Is this gout....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already posted about this on the Heath discussion, but I'm very worried for my child's health. I got Norbert about a month and a half ago and almost all of his toes are swollen and upturned. I don't think it's stuck shed, mostly because the swollen toes are not discolored. I'm not sure if it's MBD, broken toes, fungus, gout, or something like that, but he doesn't seem to be in any pain when he walks or climbs, so I'm taking that as a good sign. Anyways, if you have any ideas or info, I would really appreciate it. Here's some other basic information about Norbert:

He's about 11 inches from nose to tail. We think he's between 3-5 months old, but we're not entirely sure.
He's kept in a 75 gallon tank with tile as the floor.
His basking spot is located on a hide and hammock and kept at 110 degrees Fahrenheit at the hottest spot.
His UVB bulb (I'm getting a better one soon) is kept about 5-6 inches from his basking spot.
I dust his food with a calcium supplement by Fluker's, which has D3 in it. He mainly eats dubias, crickets, and occasionally mealworms. I've tried feeding him green's before (collards) but he only ate them if he was starving. He also likes red bell peppers, but I don't feed them to him often mostly because of how acidic they are.

Anyways, he is my first beardie and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm doing something wrong, but I am truly worried that something is causing his toes to be weird. If you have any suggestions or ideas, I would greatly appreciate them!

109364-3858823679.jpg
109364-6604713835.jpg
109364-6983119072.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Did you PM Tracie or ahbd- I posted on your other thread
Karrie

NorbertTheDino

Original Poster
Yes, I finally found her lol. I just sent her a PM. Thanks again! I'm just really worried and want all the insight I can get.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If its gout a blood test would need to be done to see what uric levels are- and to find out for sure- then meds would be prescribed along w/ diet changes but to me I am thinking it's something different but let's see what Tracie thinks
Karrie

NorbertTheDino

Original Poster
I am awaiting a message back from Tracie. I really hope it's not gout, but at least he's not in obvious pain. Thanks a bunch for making me aware of some of the vets on this platform!

NorbertTheDino

Original Poster
Anyways, I have to go... I'll definitely be on tomorrow to see what Tracie says, if she ends up getting back to me. I want to stay to see what people have to say, but my parents are yelling at me to get off lol. But, yeah, thanks so much! I really am wishing that it's nothing serious but you never know.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I will be PM'ing you back. Norbert does have some swelling going on in his toes.
How long has he had these issues presently?
Can you review your nutrition & supplementation with us also? Oh sorry, I missed that
section. So you are using calcium with D3, daily?
For now, I would switch to a plain calcium without D3 in it. Sometimes, too much D3 or
other vitamins (if they are fat soluble/synthetic) can cause hypervitaminosis problems. In
short, it will cause absorption trouble & can lead to gout symptoms or a secondary gout called
Pseudo gout. If it is initially caused by the nutritional or husbandry problems then it can usually
be reversed.
He might be too light to have a blood draw, but not sure. The only true way to determine if they
have gout is a blood test or sometimes x-rays. This is a classic look to gout though, but it does
not look like his hands or feet are too swollen. If you have caught it early that is always the best
to give him the optimal chance to get past it.
You are changing your UVB lighting also?

Tracie

NorbertTheDino

Original Poster
He's had this weird problem since about the second week we had him, but we thought it was broken toes because the swelling hadn't started yet. And right now, I'm using a UVB coil but definitely getting a UVB florescent sometime this week, if I'm able to. I will have to get calcium without D3 in it, too. I just feel really bad for him, but at least he doesn't seem to be in pain. Thanks!

NorbertTheDino

Original Poster
I also forgot to mention that his tail seems to have mild swelling it it, though it might just be a kink or the way he was sitting.
109364-4892629585.jpg

NorbertTheDino

Original Poster
When I run my fingers down his tail, it definitely feels weird, but I'm not sure if what I'm feeling is his tailbone or swelling. It's probably his tailbone, but I thought I'd add that just in case.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Norbert doing today?
It looks like there is a slight bump but not bad, maybe calcium issues perhaps. Or, it also
could be a previous injury but I don't think that will affect him any.
I sent a PM to you, with regards to the black or tart cherry juice extract. As long as they are
non gmo/organic & have no added sugar, the brand should be fine. I gave a few suggestions
in the PM to you.
I forgot to mention also, for his greens, try to keep the oxalates low for him. I would limit the
mustard & collard greens & kale but you can give turnip greens, dandelion greens, arugula,
endive or spring greens mix, minus the spinach.
Let us know how he is doing.
I am glad that he is in good spirits though!

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Norbert doing today, did he enjoy being outside? I hope your new light gets
to you soon. Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

NorbertTheDino

Original Poster
He loved being outside. Also, I forgot to say in my post that I thought it was going to be cooler in the sun, but it was a good 100-105 degrees Fahrenheit out side, so I didn't use any heating like I mentioned using before. He spent most the time in his water tray, but he didn't seem to be in any distress, for the most part. Thanks a ton!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I messaged you as well. His outdoor time sounds very nice for him.
As long as he had adequate area to stay cool & plenty of ventilation then he will be fine.
You were with him, so no problem there since you can monitor him. I hope you both had
a great time.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom