4-Month-Old Beardie Walking Strangely

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJBeardie

Hello, I'm new to owning bearded dragons and I've had this one for two months now. She suddenly started walking strange the other day, it looks like a limp? When I first noticed it, I was feeding her, and I thought it might have been her claws getting caught on her carpet, but as I kept watching her eat, it became more apparent that there was something wrong. Nobody saw her do anything that could injure her, she hasn't fallen or jumped or anything, but she does often climb up and down from her branch(about 6in high) where she basks often.

image1.jpg
image2.jpg

Here's a video showing how she's walking:
https://youtu.be/df6jImUVx3U

Heres some info on her care and husbandry:
She has a diet of crickets and mealworms, and I feed them to her dusted with ReptiCalcium with D3 and Rep-Cal Herptivite(an approx. 2:1 ratio, respectively). She is fed 3 times a day, given kale and collard greens in the morning before eating anything else, then is fed a few feeders, and crickets or mealworms for her other two feedings throughout the day. Her enclosure is a 20 gallon, and she has a basking area at near exact 100, the other side of her enclosure being mid-high 70s. Humidity is usually around 40-50% with her humidifier in there. The entire area is lit using an 80 watt TEKIZOO UVB lamp. She's handled daily, usually just letting her out to walk around on us and on the couch while sitting watching her. It isn't impaction, as she poops daily. Any poop or urates are cleaned as soon as they're found, and her area is kept clean.

If anyone could help me find out what's wrong with her, and whether or not its serious or she needs a vet, I would greatly appreciate it! I love her a lot, and want her happy and healthy. Thank you!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She walks a bit off, but does she walk normally on carpet? They tend to slide around a lot
on tile or linoleum.
The UVB light you are using I am not familiar with. Is it a mercury vapor bulb, since it is 80
watts? Please post a picture of the tank setup for us also, with a picture of the UVB bulb, too.
It may not be a strong enough UVB, most of them are not unfortunately. So, she could have
strained something possibly, if her bones are not strong enough. It doesn't look like she has
any swelling, correct? Are you referring to her right leg/foot?
She is a pretty girl, very colorful, too!

Tracie

DJBeardie

Original Poster
Drache613":2lnnxlc5 said:
Hello,

She walks a bit off, but does she walk normally on carpet? They tend to slide around a lot
on tile or linoleum.
The UVB light you are using I am not familiar with. Is it a mercury vapor bulb, since it is 80
watts? Please post a picture of the tank setup for us also, with a picture of the UVB bulb, too.
It may not be a strong enough UVB, most of them are not unfortunately. So, she could have
strained something possibly, if her bones are not strong enough. It doesn't look like she has
any swelling, correct? Are you referring to her right leg/foot?
She is a pretty girl, very colorful, too!

Tracie

I hope this is the right way to reply!

Here are pictures showing her current husbandry. She does have the same limp while on her carpet and any other surface.
image0.jpg
image1.jpg

As for the bulb, I'm not sure... I had referred to this website https://www.reptiledirect.com/best-bearded-dragon-uvb-light-bulbs/ looking for a good UVB bulb. The one I was given when she was given to me had bad reviews and showed as only UVA. I just received this bulb two days ago, in hopes that it would help her problem. Here's images of the packaging
image0.jpg
image1.jpg
image2.jpg
image3.jpg

I did assume it was an issue with her back right leg, it seemed that she was using that one the least while walking around.I don't believe there's swelling, but I can post more images of her from different angles if need be. I hope this helps with finding a solution, and thank you for the reply(and the compliment)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom