New bearded dragon constantly staring at me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleinz

I’ve had a bearded dragon in the past that died from ADV virus. I recently found a small reliable reptile business and picked up a young bearded dragon, the store owner asked me all sorts of questions and made sure I had all the right stuff. She chose the biggest one in there and I took him/her home last night. He/she has eaten very good today, and I made sure to get all the same vegetables that they had been giving them. He/she is quite friendly and will eat from my hand. I was just sitting on the floor of my room scrolling through my phone when I noticed he/she was staring straight at me. He/she has already had 4 wax worms and 5 small mealworms as well as a small salad. I can’t tell if he/she just wants more food or is just curious about me. I have a loft bed so I moved up onto my bed but he/she is still staring at me. He/she has been looking at me for the past hour.
109359-5932528344.jpg
109359-2716094549.jpg
109359-658134437.jpg

Draven88

Hatchling Member
Quite honestly it could be either one... Wanting more food or just generally curious in new things (mostly things that move and are interesting). Especially when growing its nearly impossible to over feed them as it will all be channeled into growth so offering some more wont hurt.

Aleinz

Original Poster
Draven88":314zg6q3 said:
Quite honestly it could be either one... Wanting more food or just generally curious in new things (mostly things that move and are interesting). Especially when growing its nearly impossible to over feed them as it will all be channeled into growth so offering some more wont hurt.

I gave him/her a few more worms and he/she gobbled them up and jumped up to the log for some basking time. I’m afraid I’m going to overfeed, because I don’t know what a full bearded dragon looks like. My old bearded dragon was super skinny because I had to force feed it since it wasn’t moving except for seizures and twitching. My current dragon has quite the full belly and I’m scared he/she is eating too much. I know it’s not constipation or bloating because he/she poops a lot, I mean, a lottttt.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your baby needs crickets or dubia roaches for a staple feeder not meal worms - hes too young - he also needs salads http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Put your salads in there along w/ the worms and then like a hr our so later add your roaches to that bowl - if hes eating his salads that is good -- put like 10-12 roaches in there and see if he eats them all -- if so you can always add more a few at a time -
He may still be hungry w/ the way hes looking out or curious - w/ the worms the staple feeder and salads your baby should not be hungry -- I would get him a hide I dont see any kind of hide in your tank --- what are you using for lighting --- UVB brand and bulb coil or tube ? And how are you taking his basking temps ? NO stick ons they are inaccurate
Karrie

Aleinz

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2lcsr61x said:
Your baby needs crickets or dubia roaches for a staple feeder not meal worms - hes too young - he also needs salads http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Put your salads in there along w/ the worms and then like a hr our so later add your roaches to that bowl - if hes eating his salads that is good -- put like 10-12 roaches in there and see if he eats them all -- if so you can always add more a few at a time -
He may still be hungry w/ the way hes looking out or curious - w/ the worms the staple feeder and salads your baby should not be hungry -- I would get him a hide I dont see any kind of hide in your tank --- what are you using for lighting --- UVB brand and bulb coil or tube ? And how are you taking his basking temps ? NO stick ons they are inaccurate
Karrie

I’m about to order 200 small Dubai roaches, 100 bsfl, and Dubai chow. Super worms are currently out of stock on the website I use (Dubairoaches.com). In the salad I have collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, raspberry, blueberries, butternut squash, and red bell peppers. The 20 gallon tank is a bit small so I couldn’t fit the hide in, but there is a hiding space underneath the basking logs that create a nice shadow, and the other side of the tank has the water. Here’s pictures of the uvb I use and what I use to measure temperatures. I have a 40 breeder gallon tank but the reptile store said to use a 20 gallon until my beardie grows, but it isn’t big enough to fit the uvb tube in, so I took off the screen lid and placed the uvb across the top next to the basking bulb. I have a big storage bin I use to keep the Dubai roaches in, and I put egg cartons in there also. I’m okay with feeding the worm by hand since he/she won’t eat them unless I give them by hand, but I’ll use my long tongs to place the Dubai roaches in the salad bowl. I turn off his/hers lights off at 10 pm and turn them on at 8 am. He/she doesn’t gape under the basking light but will open their mouth. He/she seems to move around the tank a lot, seems to be near the basking area most of the time but I’ve caught him/her laying in their water and sipping at it.
109359-4476138600.jpg
109359-4964393033.jpg
He/she just woke up and I went to move him/her onto the basking spot to warm up before getting some food. It was cute because he/she was clinging onto my finger and wasn’t letting go. [XIMG]109359 [XIMG]109359
109359-5691955723.jpg
109359-4609400141.jpg
109359-1620314443.jpg
2884415905[/XIMG]8718831199[/XIMG]
109359-297450861.jpg
Just caught him/her doing the mouth thing, only does it like 4-5 times a day.
109359-6300106868.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He is adjusting body temp.w/ the gaping- your doing an excellent job w/ him - the UVB what bulb is it ? T 5 or T 8? Distance thing -- temp probe is good-- are your hours 10pm - 8am?
Karrie

Aleinz

Original Poster
KarrieRee":238tw823 said:
He is adjusting body temp.w/ the gaping- your doing an excellent job w/ him - the UVB what bulb is it ? T 5 or T 8? Distance thing -- temp probe is good-- are your hours 10pm - 8am?
Karrie

The uvb is a T 8. 10pm - 8am is when the lights are off, and 8am -10pm is when the lights are on. As soon as the lights turn off he/she will find a place to sleep. Should I skip the mealworms and just feed wax worms with the salad until the Dubai roaches, bsf larvae, and Dubia chow get here?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Wax worms sparingly they are real fatty and can cause liver issues for now till your other feeders come in I would use them - meal worms use them too for now-- it will get her to the salad bowl so when the other feeders come in I would use them sparingly and then start w/ the others use what you have up
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom