Status
Not open for further replies.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hello!

Drogon is almost a year old and it's almost his adoption day :D I'd like to get him something special like a heated bed so he can hang out of his cage longer. He loves spending time out playing, but when he gets cold, I always put him back and he has a little tantrum.

Does anyone have any experience with this or could you link me to some ideas?
Thanks!
Selkie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I like to set up portable basking areas around the house for free roam time. The ones I have are dome fixtures hanging off of adjustable lamp stands. Two are mercury vapor bulbs to provide UVB (less popular with him) and two are halogen bulbs providing just heat (he loves these and will return to them to warm up).

You can also set up a soft bed (I use a small dog bed) in a window sill to allow time to look outside and enjoy some natural sunlight (this is UVA/heat only - the window blocks UVB).

Here is a photo of what I use to provide portable basking spots.

76248-5659197629.jpg

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
CooperDragon":2uvzbf0k said:
I like to set up portable basking areas around the house for free roam time. The ones I have are dome fixtures hanging off of adjustable lamp stands. Two are mercury vapor bulbs to provide UVB (less popular with him) and two are halogen bulbs providing just heat (he loves these and will return to them to warm up).

You can also set up a soft bed (I use a small dog bed) in a window sill to allow time to look outside and enjoy some natural sunlight (this is UVA/heat only - the window blocks UVB).

Here is a photo of what I use to provide portable basking spots.

76248-5659197629.jpg

I'm a little nervous with having free standing heat bulbs. I know my cat will mess with them -__- Plus I have a lot of carpet, so I don't wanna start a fire. Can I use a heating pad on low grade and put a blanket over it? :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you have a cat, then the lights and free roaming in general isn't a good idea. Maybe a small soft bed or folded blanket in a window sill to allow for some natural sunlight would be a hit. If you go with a heated bed of some sort, then I would use reptile shipping heat packs which don't get very hot so they don't pose as much of a burn risk. They should still be kept under a towel or blanket to prevent direct skin contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom