Beardie hides all day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No keep it on --- run your lights like you normally do --- if she goes into full brumation then you can turn the UVB off but for now I would do as you normally do especially if shes still basking - she could just be going thru a lazy period now -- mine do the same lay around in their hides and not come out some days -- its just them --
Karrie

rhpsp

Original Poster
Hi,

Just wanted to update, Nigel is still sleeping. Some days she fully asleep, others she is in her hide with her eyes open. I suppose she decided to brumate. It has been 2 months now...

How long does brumation last?

rhpsp

Original Poster
I have her soak in water once a week. I also drop water on her nose. She’s terrible about drinking. Always been a struggle with her.

Weight is still good.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok good -- I heard 3 months was the longest to let it go for brumation but someone else could correct me - so just keep an eye on her and if she emerges offer her food - she may or may not eat
Karrie

Draven88

Hatchling Member
I would have to say brumation has got to be the most stressful part of having beardies. No matter how much we know it is a natural process it ALWAYS makes us second guess if something else is wrong. Just keep up with the monitoring, most important is not having drops in weight.

rhpsp

Original Poster
So Nigel is still hiding. She has been doing this since July! Any thoughts? Seems like a long time.

I give her a bath once a week but I’m worried about dehydration. She ate a roach today but no interested in greens nor does she do anything when I drop water on her nose.

She defecated last week, so at least food isn’t sitting in her this whole time.

Thoughts or advice? I’m quite worried with how long this is going on. Maybe it is normal but I am a classic nervous first time beardie owner.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so shes still hiding ?? Is there a clear plastic cover over your UVB bulb? If there is please take it off and leave off -----have you weighed her to see if shes losing weight? How are her poops? One way to tell if she is dehydrated is if the urate is chalky or dried out looking---- it does not sound like shes dehydrated --
Karrie

rhpsp

Original Poster
No cover on the uvb, never has been one. The urates are hard. They always tend to be on the hard side. Water intake has been a constant struggle forever. I mist her greens, drips on her nose, bowl (took it out cause she never drank and it raised the humidity) and weekly baths.

The scale said 819 grams. I don’t think it is accurate. That seems really heavy for her.

Her skin looks a bit more wrinkled than normal. She holds herself up and walks fine.

Just not sure what’s going on...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
819 grams?????????? Wow ---- I am thinking that is off but I am speechless---- ok do you still have her on the floor? If so I would look at moving her and see if that changes her behavior---- her being in hiding since July is too long and she should be coming out now
Karrie

rhpsp

Original Poster
Yes! It was off! I got another scale and it’s 429g. It’s a kitchen scale so not the highest of quality but probably somewhat accurate.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok that's good better weight- is she still on the floor? If she is I would suggest you move her up on to a dresser or stand etc-- see if that does not change the behavior
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom