Baby only wants to eat... mealworms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frnknstn

Apologies for the rather rapid second post! I'm encountering a bit of a problem.

My 2 month old new beardie baby has started to regain her appetite, which is good, but she seems to be exclusively partial to mealworms- which is very, very poor in my eyes. I'm aware of all the health risks that come with them, including impaction due to their chitinous exoskeleton. I was explaining to my mother why we need to try and avoid these if possible, but she expressed to me that the beardies breeder would often feed her mealworms and would have no issue, and I'm worried for her.
At the time, mealworms were the only feeder in local stock, so we picked those up until our cricket order came in. Said order came in the next day, and she ate a few. The thing is is that she will consume a few crickets, generally about 3-5, but will shy away from them. All sizes. But mealworms? She sucks those buggers up like there's no tomorrow and shows incredible interest in them.

Thankfully I've been keeping a close eye on her, and she's been doing healthy poops. I also got her to eat two hornworms- one very small as a bit of a test, and one a respectable size for her (no bigger than she could eat, of course)- which tells me she's capable of trying out new things. We have yet to order dubias, but it's very high on our to-do list for her.

For clarification, I do not feed her mealworms if I can help it at all. I am trying to wean her off of them and onto crickets for the time being, until the dubias arrive.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could potentially encourage her to eat better feeders when all she wants to do is eat mealworms?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Get some BSFL you can order them from here
www.symptonbsf.com
Add them to her salads on top first thing in the morning - she needs to be eating salads too even if only a little - your going to need a bowl they cant get out of something like this https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d its cheaper off this webiste than sympton they have the same bowl
You can also try this website for butter worms and small super worms - they will also work as lures to the salad bowl along w/ adding roaches www.mulberryfarms.com
www.reptilianarts.com good silk worms especially smalls when they have them in stock but have been out for awhile - they carry roaches its best to have a 10 gallon aquarium on hand to keep them in the super worms come in a paper in a gunny sack -- your going to need a plastic cup w/ lid w/ holes and some regular oatmeal for food - its best to try and get them from a supplier that sends them in a container like that already I dont know why reptilian arts sends them like that -
www.dubiaroaches.com good place for roaches and small horn worms - if you order medium they usually come small - they grow fast so order small amounts -
www.coastalslikworms.com two places to order from east and west coast - they come w/ food
www.aafeeder.com/feeder-worms/superworms/
Karrie

Frnknstn

Original Poster
Thank you for all of these!! I'll be looking to grab a bit of everything if I can :D

Looked further into it and it seems this is a common theme with babies... all meal worms, no veggies! Just like spoiled little children, haha. If worst comes to worst, I'll syringe feed a slurry. For now I'm going to inquire with my mother about ordering BSFL. While I do this I'll be holding off on mealworms until she regains her appetite for crickets!

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Yes, I recommend getting BSLF they are great because they are delicious (for the beardie) and you don't need to dust them with calcium if you have the correct UVB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom