Acidophiliz and Reptaid XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmass326

Hey all!

We have a Beardie that tested positive for overgrowth of pinworms and Coccidia. The vet prescribed a 3 day treatment of Fenbendazole 100mg/ml 1x/day and Ponazuril 20mg/ml 0.5ccs 2x/day. We gave her the treatment and I felt like she wasn’t feeling well. I found some threads on this forum that talked about how harsh these types of meds can be and that some have had success treating parasites with Reptaid and Acidophiliz. I purchased both. Does anyone know if it is safe to administer both of these simultaneously? Also...any tips/tricks etc. that you can share would be appreciated. Does anyone give their healthy beardies Reptaid and/or Acidophiliz on a regular basis that can share their experience? Thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Reptaid is kinda harsh on the system too based on my experiences with it. Did you finish the vet prescribed course? If so, Don't add in the reptaid, but you can use the acidophiliz to help restore the gut.

If you haven't finished the course, i'd just finish what the vet gave you since it's only for 3 days anyways. Make sure you are cleaning the tank daily while on the meds to help kill any pinworm eggs in the enclosure too. Pinworms are notorious for coming back. But, if the immune system is healthy, the body will keep numbers in check.

-Brandon

bmass326

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply. Yes we finished the prescribed meds about 5 days ago and she hasn’t pooped since then, so we haven’t been able to have her poop tested again. We are giving her water and soaks with belly rubs. Also giving hornworms as a treat to help get things moving. Temps and humidity are in check. I have been steaming her cage to kill the parasites. She is still eating which is good. She has been on and off black bearding and head bobbing and just not seeming herself still. She had previously been treated for parasites about 2 months ago and then had to get retreated because the fecal came back as still showing overload. That was in California and we just moved to Tennessee and noticed she was acting “off” again and then had a runny stool. We took her to an avian and exotics doc in Nashville that looked at the files from our previous vet in California and said she didn’t see that they had tested her for Coccidia, which is “routine.” We had some red flags with this new doc and I was really hoping that we could go a more natural route with Reptaid. Sounds like you don’t feel that Reptaid is all that good. Why is that? What was your experience?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No I do think reptaid is effective, but it's not very easy on their systems either from how my girl reacted to it many years ago. In my experience it was effective at treating the issues I needed it to (possible parasites and general lethargy) but it caused GIT discomfort.

I don't think it would be wise to use it after already harsh meds messing up the stomach. Give the probiotic to help the tummy feel better and keep offering food and hopefully things will go back to normal.
What caused you to want to get a fecal in the first place? The runny stool?

Fecals really shouldn't be done in times of stress as stress elevates the counts. A big move like that could definitely cause some relocation stress which could definitely loosen the stool. The stress levels also could cause the parasite counts to go out of whack. Remember, a lot of times they will have parasites in them but the healthy body keeps them in check. It's possible the stress just caused the numbers to elevate and its possible they would have gone back down naturally as she settled back in. But that doesn't matter much now, its just for future reference. It's why we don't recommend getting a fecal done right when you buy a dragon.

So for now just let her system reset and stabilize and try to keep her as stress free as possible :)

Typos due to typing on my phone ha.

-Brandon

bmass326

Original Poster
Thanks for the info Brandon. :) We had already been moved for a little over a month and her stool had been normal, but then she started acting similarly to the first time she got sick with parasite overgrowth and we suspected that she was sick again. Then she had the really runny stool. That is why we took her in to have her tested again. You could be right though. We are just praying that she gets back to normal soon. The most worrisome aspect at this point is that she hasn’t pooped for almost a week now. She had a soak yesterday for about 25 minutes and I was gently rubbing her belly and she still didn’t go. She is doing well taking the probiotic now though, so hopefully in the next day or 2 she will go. I don’t know if the medication we gave her over the 3 day period maybe caused her to be backed up.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I think it really takes awhile for their systems to get back to normal after medication rounds
because once their gut flora gets disturbed it takes it time to balance back out.
You can definitely give some acidophiliz for her, it is very helpful. The Reptaid is good, like
Brandon said, but it is harsh on their system.
I would try giving some sugar free apple sauce or canned pumpkin & mix that in with a few
drops of olive or coconut oil. Hopefully that will help her out!
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

bmass326

Original Poster
Hey Tracie.

Thanks for your reply. I have been giving her the Acidophiliz daily. She has been eating, which is good. Today she was black bearding and exhibiting behavior that we associate with her not feeling well. She finally pooped and it was still very runny and contained undigested food. I have her poop in the fridge to take to the vet to have tested again. I am unsure what to do, because obviously the 3 day round of meds that the vet gave her did not do the trick. That vet also had informed me to use a 50/50 bleach water mix, to clean her cage which I found through doing research does not kill Coccidia. She was already treated and retreated for parasites before we moved from California. I was unaware until recent that most parasite meds are quite harsh on them and that we should give a probiotic. :-( I am steam cleaning her cage after she poops to prevent reinfection. Any thoughts at this point? Thanks!
Drache613":wk0yie3r said:
Hello,

I think it really takes awhile for their systems to get back to normal after medication rounds
because once their gut flora gets disturbed it takes it time to balance back out.
You can definitely give some acidophiliz for her, it is very helpful. The Reptaid is good, like
Brandon said, but it is harsh on their system.
I would try giving some sugar free apple sauce or canned pumpkin & mix that in with a few
drops of olive or coconut oil. Hopefully that will help her out!
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom