New beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slawson

Hello!

So I got a beardie from a pet store almost a week ago. I named it Gobi ?. Gobi is doing well but I have a question about the lighting setup I have. I bought an all in one kit, thrive brand. It did have carpet for the bottom which I read is better. However I’m confused with the UVB light. It included one but it sits on top of the mesh screen. Is that ok?

Slawson

Original Poster
Thank you KareeRee. I did read it and I see I need to replace it with an inside light fixture. But there are different wattages and I don’t know which one to pick. Can someone please help me? He’s in a 40g tank. I hang it next to his basking spot at the top of the glass? What wattage do I get? Then I don’t need the other uvb light that’s currently sitting on top of his cage? Just the basking bulb?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No if your basking bulb is keeping temps 105-110 for a baby or 95-110 for a juvie/ adult and it must be taken w/a digital probe thermometer you are good --- its the UVB you are needing to replace if its a coil --- NO coils you want a tube fixture it looks like this
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/wholesale-reptile-hoods-domes-fixtures/1884-reptisun-terrarium-hood-t5-24-zoo-med.html 24" fixture and this fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb which is equivalent to a T 8 bulb hang on to it
you want this bulb
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/t5-uvb-bulbs/1878-reptisun-100-uvb-t5-ho-fluorescent-bulb-22-zoo-med.html Its from a different place so you can get the fixture from there as well - I just dont know how long its taking for them to ship please call them and ask 916-226-4089-- they are out of CA
Karrie

Slawson

Original Poster
This makes no sense to me. The fixture u suggested goes on top of his enclosure correct? Where do I put the basking bulb then? And my cage isn’t 24inches long I don’t think. Can’t you mount the uvb inside the cage?

Slawson

Original Poster
Also don’t understand the t8, t10, etc.

I just need to know exactly what bulb I buy for my guy, where I hang it. There’s so many wattages on the uvb that I do not know.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
T 5 is is a stronger bulb and its a 24 watt --it has two options for placement depending on the screen you have the T 8 is a bulb that would need to go in the tank - it also needs to be replaced every 6 months where as the T 5 once per year -- they both need different fixtures -- I have recommended the T 5 - its better suited for your 40 gallon and if you ever want to upgrade that fixture would go right into it
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom